I Win!! Slowest Runner on MFP Prize!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Speed will come with time. Duration and distance are more important for fitness.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bah. Garden slugs point and laugh as they pass me. Which is why I always run carrying a shaker of salt.

OMGOOOOOSH!!!! Now THAT was funny!!!!!! Lol! Okay....YOU win!!!!!
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this,,,, I'll admit on many days I feel like such an epic fail because of my gimpy speed. ((((HUGS SLOW FRIENDS))))) I'm not alone!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Please! I have been passed by 80 yo men in Central Park! Once during particularly hilly 5K, I was passed by a pregnant woman that I swear was in labor at the time she was so big. I am the worst runner ever.

Well, the worst runner ever that has completed 10 5ks, 2 10ks and 2 half marys that is.

Oh yeah....I rock and so do you!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I'm so slow the GPS showed negative mileage.

But damn it, yesterday I finished ahead of the lady pushing two kids in a stroller!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I RAN the entire 5K I was in, and was passed by people who were walking....so there! Congrats, by the way...:drinker:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I'm the same. I have stents in my left leg and nerve damage in my left foot so I'm gimpy as they come, I "run" about 3.8 to 4.1 MPH on a good day. And, like you said, that's walking speed for a lot of folks! I often apologize to friends who do 5K's with me, LMAO!!!! but, whatever, we're doing it. I've never cared if I came in last, as long as I came in. :bigsmile:
    Props to you! I have a titanium rod in my left leg due to a car wreck, which also broke my heel, etc.! It's very hard, but well worth it!
  • Kit_Kat76
    Kit_Kat76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear from all the slow ones out there. Even though I'm very happy I"m running at all, I always felt I was the slowest out there. Even with time, I don't seem to be getting much faster. I can go abit further, but still very slow. Takes me almost 30minutes for just 4km.....working my way up to 5km.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Truth: my pace is about 14:30 miles, and I can walk faster than I run, but I don't feel it as much as when I jog- and, I did a half marathon and thy did close the course, even though I was below their pace. I. Was. Pissed.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Truth: my pace is about 14:30 miles, and I can walk faster than I run, but I don't feel it as much as when I jog- and, I did a half marathon and thy did close the course, even though I was below their pace. I. Was. Pissed.
    Yeah, that's totally not fair. If you were within their pace limit, they had no business closing the course on you!

Some of my worst experiences:

--My training group has Pizza Night a few times during the program. The first time we had one, I was all excited--it was a long run that night, but I would have a reward! Except...by the time I waddled in, the faster runners had eaten every last morsel of the pizza. It sounds silly, but I about cried.

--There's a 7-mile race near where I live every February. Our big local half marathon is in May, so lots of people are just starting training for it and aren't up to the distance yet at that time of year. They're smart. They stay home. I wasn't up to it either, but I went anyway. I was DFL (Dead Effing Last). By several minutes. The finish line was still there, but inside the organizers were packing up. Someone tried to find me a cookie--there were some open packs of those really cheap grocery store cookies, and the only ones left were the worst ones nobody will eat. I just remember the volunteer being so nice and clearly embarrassed for me, and holding out these cookies, and me feeling like absolute crap and taking the damn cookie to be nice in return. I ate it, too. It tasted like humiliation.

I think I did cry that time, once I was alone.

I'll never be fast, but I'm not quite as slow as I used to be (except when I'm low-heart-rate training, but that's another story). Believe me, as awful as it feels to miss out and fall short, that's how good it feels when you, say...go back to that 7-mile race two years later...and beat your DFL time by 28 freaking minutes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Bah. Garden slugs point and laugh as they pass me. Which is why I always run carrying a shaker of salt.

thlmao-1.gif

I live in WA State, slug central. You can also drown them in beer. They are drawn to it. If you can keep from drinking it due to dehydration on that run.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner and I'm also VERY slow. I walk faster than I run. I'm cool with it, though. I can feel myself getting fitter all the time, and that's really exciting to me.
  • joyzeejay
    Options
    LOL!!! I'm the same. I have stents in my left leg and nerve damage in my left foot so I'm gimpy as they come, I "run" about 3.8 to 4.1 MPH on a good day. And, like you said, that's walking speed for a lot of folks! I often apologize to friends who do 5K's with me, LMAO!!!! but, whatever, we're doing it. I've never cared if I came in last, as long as I came in. :bigsmile:

Wow!!! You're my hero!! It's awesome that you're running!!!! My hat's off to you!!!
  • joyzeejay
    Options
    Props to you! I have a titanium rod in my left leg due to a car wreck, which also broke my heel, etc.! It's very hard, but well worth it!
    @meggles63 - you're amazing!!!!!
    I'm so slow the GPS showed negative mileage.

But damn it, yesterday I finished ahead of the lady pushing two kids in a stroller!
    @ dsjohndrow - that's waaay funny, too!!! GPS showed negative...ha! ha!!! Congrats on beating the lady pushing the double-stroller...lol!!!
    Once during particularly hilly 5K, I was passed by a pregnant woman that I swear was in labor at the time she was so big. I am the worst runner ever.

Well, the worst runner ever that has completed 10 5ks, 2 10ks and 2 half marys that is.
    Woooow! Mamacita!! That's funny, about the pregnant woman in labor!!! Ha! Ha! I think you might win!!! But, it's great that you've done so many runs. kudos to YOU!