Beef Jerky anyone?

Options
Do you think Beef Jerky is a good snack?

I'm looking for ways to add more protein into my diet.

I try to avoid red meat, but it seems like beef jerky is low in fat.

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's a good snack for you or not but it's damn sure GOOD!! :bigsmile:
    Don't just stop at beef either.....
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    More protein? Peanut butter. Delicious peanut butter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like beef jerky. I try to find brands with less processing (i.e. no MSG, and no sugar). LOVE beef jerky in fact.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Peanut butter isn't really an optimal protein source, it's more of a fat source that also happens to have equal amounts each of protein and carbohydrates.

I like jerky when I travel, and found a brand called Perky Jerky that is great! I highly suggest you check it out. http://www.perkyjerky.com/
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Very good to know. I thought Jerky would be BAD....very Bad. So...learned something new today. Thanks.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love jerky! I make my own, because the stuff at the supermarket is so expensive. I make turkey jerky, but it's basically the same in macros as beef jerky. I find that jerky is the best way to get the most protein for the fewest calories. Fat free Greek yogurt and egg whites have about the same ratio of protein to calories, but jerky is far far superior when you're looking for something quick and convenient, or something you can store in your purse.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat it quite often as a snack but we bought a dehydrator and I make my own and control the ingredients that go on them... Turn out great everytime.... Best of Luck
  • bananasd09
    bananasd09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beef jerky... Obertos has a low sodium jerky
  • julianfstr
    Options
    I LOVE beef jerky. it's a great source of protein, it's low in fat and low in carbs. Some will say you need to worry about the sodium b/c of blood pressure but in fact sodium isn't as much a problem as a low sodium to potassium intake. That is to say, the problem isn't too much sodium, it's too much sodium relative to potassium. So — eat a banana or some other food high in potassium (fish, leafy greens, mushrooms...).

My favorite is bigjohnsbeefjerky.com. They have a few low sodium varieties as well. I can't stop eating the BBQ flavor.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky - really high in protein and low in fat. Watch the sodium content though if you're sensitive to sodium.

Try turkey jerky - it's a bit milder flavor but also really good. And my brother-in-law makes a mean venison jerky!
  • CitrusKiss
    CitrusKiss Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I thought Beef Jerky was bad for you, so the responses to this topic are quite a surprise! I love beef jerky but I've been denying myself it recently to help stay healthy. Glad to know I can snack on some!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I eat about an ounce of beef jerky every day as a mid-morning snack with some dried fruits and nuts. :) I do think about the relatively high sodium content, but I generally consume appropriate amounts of sodium, so I'm not too worried.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Usually have it if I'm traveling (which isn't much). But beef jerky is da bomb!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you have Jack Link's brand available to you they make a reduced sodium beef jerky that tastes delicious. I love beef jerky but sometimes the sodium content is way too high.
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you have Jack Link's brand available to you they make a reduced sodium beef jerky that tastes delicious. I love beef jerky but sometimes the sodium content is way too high.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    We make our own venison and elk jerky. It is a tasty snack and because it is so chewy, it gives those jaws a good, satisfying workout.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

you might as well eat peanut m&m's...peanut butter is NOT a healthy source of protein !!!!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks. Can be high in sodium, but I am able to look past that. I've had ostrich and deer jerky as well.
    I'd have deer jerky everyday of my life I had access to it.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky...I often have it as a snack.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    No, personally, the store bought jerky has way too much sodium, and some flavours have a lot of sugar.

I'd like to make my own beef jerky some day.