Trip to Mexico - What to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience in a rental car in Cancun... a dirty Mexican cop tried to extort money out of us by telling us we were speeding. He tried to get my husband to hand over his driver's license and said we would have to pay him 900 pesos to get it back. We weren't speeding.

I take the tours now :ohwell:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The Riviera Maya area is both incredibly beautiful and a tourist machine. Be prepared to be offered all sorts of deals, etc.. Avoid the time share offers. The Lonely Planet guide is a pretty good resource for the area.

Do you plan to spend time in Cancun?

What are you looking for?
    I don't know what I'm looking for but I'm up for anything. I could probably use some relaxing but I'm a adrenalin junky so I'm up for anything. We'll probably spend some time in Cancun.

Cancun is not really close to Tulum, by any stretch of the imagination. I'm guessing 3 - 4 hours away. Maybe that is not far for you, but for me, I call that much driving "wasted time"...... 6 - 8 hours round trip.
    We arrive in Cancun when we get to Mexico anyhow and I plan on visiting my mom before I go to tulum :)
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Brief Tulum Story - We stayed at an Eco-resort in Tulum. A weeks' stay in a shack made from bamboo without electricity. The sky was beautiful at night without any electricity around. Our problem was that in January it is always upper 70s-low 80s but our first night, atop a hillside overlooking the ocean, it was very windy and the temp dropped to 48 degrees. We got everysingle thing out of our suitcases and put them on and snuggled all night. Not what we had hoped for weatherwise, but something we won't forget.

Cancun is only about 1 hr from Tulum if you take a collectivo or bus.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I did Tulum. It's lovely. Also did Xel-Ha.

I will tell you what not to do... don't drink the water. Not even playing. Bring some Immodium because somehow you will get water in your system anyway (ice, lettuce washed in the water, etc).

Walk around as much as you can. Enjoy.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Cancun is only about 1 hr from Tulum if you take a collectivo or bus.

OK, so I was wrong or I had a bad drive, but I just Googled it...... 82 miles.... google says 96 minutes.... I guess I had a bad driving day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hello, my wonderful boyfriend decided to buy me a trip to Mexico one day lol. We're leaving in less then a month and we're staying near Tulum at a resort for 5 days. Suggestions on what to do/what not to miss out on?

Tulum, resort, 5 days?

Ruinas & relax. The end.