Is running better for burning calories than walking?

Options
Is running better than walking. I weigh 200 pounds and wish to know if running can help me lose fat better than walking on the treadmill for the same time.

Replies

• neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes because you will travel further in the same amount of time,and burn more calories in the process.
    Walking undoubtedly cause a caloric expenditure, but of course much less than running. For example, a 160-lb. man would burn approximately 835 calories in 60 minutes of running at 7 mph. That same man would burn 472 calories per hour even at a race walking pace. At a 4-mph pace, the caloric expenditure would be 363 calories
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Losing fat is a result of having a caloric deficit.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Depends. A study was performed to see which was a better exercise. Fast walking is better than running. There is a threshold I think around 10mph where walking trumps running. Faster than that, running is better. Maybe you can google this to find this study.

If you want, you an do an experiment on a treadmill. Keep walking but increase the pace to say 4.0 on treadmill. At this speed walking will be a very tough exercise but running will be a very easy exercise.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Losing fat is a result of having a caloric deficit.

This.

Edited to say also eating the right kind of food and lifting weights
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Is running better than walking. I weigh 200 pounds and wish to know if running can help me lose fat better than walking on the treadmill for the same time.
    [/quote

for same time - yes
    for same distance, not so much.

For most people the calories per mile, whether walking or running, are similar.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definetly, because you are working harder than just walking. Thus burning more calories
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You will burn roughly the same number of calories by distance... if you run 5km in 30 minutes or walk it in 60 minutes, the calories burned will be roughly the same... in theory.

Basically the higher the intensity of the activity, the more calories you can burn in a given period of time, so yes, running burns more than walking if you compare 30 minutes of each activity.
  • JessicaPacheco39
    Options
    I would love to learn to run but i have heard Running is really hard on the joints. My ankles hurt when i start to jog never mind run.:brokenheart:
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes it is because your heartrate is higher. But if you have poor joints walking could be better for your body. Or if you walk for a longer time, it could burn a lot of calories too. A lot of people on this site do walking.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just tried it on my treadmill. It is impossible for me to walk 10 mph.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would love to learn to run but i have heard Running is really hard on the joints. My ankles hurt when i start to jog never mind run.:brokenheart:

I have knee and hip problems from soccer, and had major knee surgery at 20 yrs old because my kneecap kept completely dislocating, also have patellatendinitis. Running is definitely rough (outside mostly) and there a lot of studies showing running outside isn't the best for your joints. But, I've discovered the elliptical, and it's amazing I don't feel any of my pain on them.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Depends. A study was performed to see which was a better exercise. Fast walking is better than running. There is a threshold I think around 10mph where walking trumps running. Faster than that, running is better. Maybe you can google this to find this study.

If you want, you an do an experiment on a treadmill. Keep walking but increase the pace to say 4.0 on treadmill. At this speed walking will be a very tough exercise but running will be a very easy exercise.

10mph is 6 minute per mile - Most people can't run that fast, let alone walk it!

:))
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I run because it's more bang for the buck. I don't have time to walk an hour a day and that's what you have to do to burn off the same amount of calories running 30 minutes. It's simply faster.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Do it. That's just a shoe problem probably. If I can do it at age 55, you can do it. :)
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I just tried it on my treadmill. It is impossible for me to walk 10 mph.

:laugh: :laugh: that literally made me almost spit water!
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Actually if you walk on an incline you'll burn a lot more calories than running on a flat surface in the same amount of time and it's much easier on the joints.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Running does burn more calories, but its not an appropriate exercise for everyone. It really depends on your fitness level. If you can elevate your heart rate significantly by walking, that is probably a more appropriate exercise for your fitness level. Once walking is no longer challenging, you can incorporate running into your workouts. If you are at this point, try something like Couch to 5k running plan to build endurance.

It is generally preferable to run/walk outside vs. on a treadmill. Treadmills change the bio-mechanics of your stride. Your large muscle groups - gluteals and hamstrings - don't work as hard on a treadmill, this can make it harder on your hip flexors.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Actually if you walk on an incline you'll burn a lot more calories than running on a flat surface in the same amount of time and it's much easier on the joints.

tumblr_lo0jwdVWyD1qhas3wo1_500.png
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Do what you like best. As long as you are doing something that is the main thing.
    I use to walk a mintue jog a minute my heart rate went up and I found this to work for me.
    I nearly finished the C25K. I have totally enjoyed this program. If you wish to start jogging or running this is a great tool for beginers...

Good luck..