Eating healthy is expensive...

Options
124»

Replies

• judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Making vegetarian sushi is fairly inexpensive, EASY TO MAKE, and good for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/judydelo1/view/first-time-making-sushi-rolls-505467
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take full advantage of my Farmer's Market. I go every other Saturday and spend no more than $50. That gets me 4 tubs up unsalted nuts(almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, dried cranberry) Butternut and acorn squash. 5 tubs of Strawberries($5 for 5) 4 tubs of Blackberries, 4 tubs of blueberries, Spinach, field greens, sweet potatoes, melons, kiwi, lemons, apples, bananas(.29 cents a pound) carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, oats, granola, grapes...The list goes on, and I have yet to go over $50!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you only buy fresh fruit and veg every two weeks? I have to buy these every couple of days or they go out of date, which is probably why my shopping is normally so expensive!

Here is a tip I found and it works well for a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables that tend to mold pretty fast. THIS REALLY WORKS! After rinsing your fruit/veggies, soak them for a few minutes in a solution of cider vinegar and water (about 1/4 vinegar). This kills all the mold, mildew, spores, bacteria etc. that are living on the outside of the fruit/vegetables. Remove from the vinegar solution and quickly rinse again and let stand for several minutes to dry (or use a lettuce spinner). Then place the dried-off fruit/vegetables in a refrigerator container on a couple paper towels. Really fragile ones like raspberries, persimmons etc. do better if you layer them with paper towels in between each layer. The paper towles absorb excess moisture that otherwise tends to accumulate on the fruit/vegetables and promotes deterioration. I can get fruits to last at least 10 days and vegetables 2 weeks in the refrigerator using this technique, plus I think it keeps them safer to eat.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One way to help defray the cost of organic produce, chicken, eggs is to grow it yourself. We have 2 acres which gives us enough room for several gardens, a greenhouse, henhouse, many fruit trees, and 200+ berry bushes. You don't have to be this ambitious, but if you start growing at least part of what you eat you will save money. I know this adds to the amount of labor it takes to prepare meals . . . but it is very satisfying and there is nothing like home grown veggies, etc.

Seriously, I don't know why poor people complain how expensive food is when they can just grow their own on their huge parcels of land with all their free time.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    i like this post. Alot.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    One way to help defray the cost of organic produce, chicken, eggs is to grow it yourself. We have 2 acres which gives us enough room for several gardens, a greenhouse, henhouse, many fruit trees, and 200+ berry bushes. You don't have to be this ambitious, but if you start growing at least part of what you eat you will save money. I know this adds to the amount of labor it takes to prepare meals . . . but it is very satisfying and there is nothing like home grown veggies, etc.

Seriously, I don't know why poor people complain how expensive food is when they can just grow their own on their huge parcels of land with all their free time.

Yes this is all true and I do a lot of it and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my garden but I'm retired and I have time. And a large freezer to store what I grow in the summer. People working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet and living in an apartment can't do this. However, I really think if you really look at what you are buying and spend some precious time learning how to quickly prepare fresh fruit and vegetables (yes it CAN be done) you will find that fresh fruit and vegetables in the long run are cheaper than fast food, prepackaged food, etc.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Making Sunday a prep day has been a huge help for me. I plan out dinner and slice and dice all my veggies and bag them. So really... it's not so time-consuming.

You're right. Eating right is about making the effort. I personally know that I don't have the will power to put together a whole foods dinner from scratch after work... so I plan and plan and usually I end up only standing at the stove for 10 minutes and then VOILA dinner!

DITTO! I wash and prep all my veggies on Sunday. Sure makes the week's meal preparations faster and healthier.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    a little more cost spread out over a lifetime vs a metric ton of cost all at once when you get a big ole disease.

also, I'm a broke actor living in the most expensive city in America. somehow I can pull it off. It's just about rearranging your priorities. anyone can eat healthier regardless of socioeconomic status.