I hurt! How the %$*#@ am I supposed to work out!?

fiendiish
fiendiish Posts: 186
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Today is strength training for my lower body and abs. Here's the problem...my legs are still sore from Tuesdays work out on them. I don't think I could hold a squat..much less 3 sets of 12. Do I tough it out? Do a different exercise? Wait until the soreness goes away?

Replies

• cgriffin8
    cgriffin8 Posts: 18
    I always tough it out.......I figure no pain no gain!! But that's is just my personal choice!
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    I always tough it out.......I figure no pain no gain!! But that's is just my personal choice!

That's probably what I will end up doing. If I don't...I will just kick myself in the *kitten* all day long for it.
  • I recommend getting a good stretch in and doing an active recovery strength training (light weight lots of reps). It will help get the blood flowing to those areas and get some lactic acid out of there. Hope that helps!

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.htm
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    I vote for tough it out too. That's what I do. You know your body. You know the difference between sore and injured. If you are just sore, tough it out. Sometimes, working those muscles and others will help ease the soreness too.
    Risa
  • price805
    price805 Posts: 20
    The best way to get the soreness out is to work out. Be sure to stretch before exercising though.
  • jadenjo
    jadenjo Posts: 13
    My instructor says "yes, you should workout anyway", I know, irritating. But from my experience it actually helps the soreness go away. Stretching those muscles as much as you can helps too. I also think you might be surprised at what you could do today but if you can't you could just do as much as you can as long as its just muscle soreness and not joint pain. Hang in there, it gets better!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Yes, tough it out, do what you can, and this time be sure to stretch real good afterwards. If you don't stretch well that is what makes the soreness worst.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    When I started P90x my first week almost killed me. I wanted to quit I hurt so bad. I just finished week 2 and don't hurt as bad as week 1. Tough it out. You will be glad you did in the long run and it does get better if you keep going.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    If you wait until the soreness leaves you will always be sore...I say tough it out. But you need to rotate upper body then lower body you muscles need to recover. As in your lower body recovers on the days that you do upper body and visa versa
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Taking some ibuprofen or any pain reliever helps with sore muscles. Are you able to sit in a sauna? The heat might help you out too.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    remember to always always always stretch after, it really reduces if not completely removes any post workout pain, leaving you free to continue working out days after
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I agree tough it out. I typically find if I stretch and get a good warm up in it, the blood starts flowing and I don't notice the soreness anymore!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I always tough it out. If I can't make 3 sets, I try for at least 1, but push for 2...then I know I at least got a good work out in.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    if you push through it now and tough it out, you will be sore for a few more day, but it will go away.
    if you wait until you are no longer sore, you will just be sore again the next time you work out, and if you wait it out again, the same thing will happen again when you work out.

try drinking a protein shake after working out. that usually helps me out a bit. i get the chocolate whey protein from GNC, and the powder, water, some ice, and half a banana. i think the banana really helps make the shake taste better.

slather yourself in icy hot too if you need it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Tough it out!!! Your muscles will loosen up during your 10-15 minute warm up prior to your actual strength training session just make sure you are stretching afterwards that helps too.
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    This just happened to me this week!!!!! I did circuit training on Tuesday; felt so bad on Wednesday I did not go exercising, I went yesterday to do circuit training - I was still sore, then I did 45 minutes on the treadmill. After riding int he car home, I though OMG, I'm going to die; I took a couple of Motrin and when I got up this morning I was FINE.

My suggestion - GO WORK OUT. You will feel better in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.