Options

Replies

• cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist or studied anything but just from my personal experiences the only advice I can give you is.

Eat healthy vegetables, fruit and lots of protein and try stay away from processed foods.

When I first started out I used to make sure all main meals had at least 100g of protein and snacks had 50g of protein.

-I found snacks were really important and speed up my metabolism and would snack on boiled eggs, ham and foods high in protein. I tried to limit my carbs to before 12noon. All I can say is up protein and snack more see how you go.

Remember it's 80% Food 20% exercise so if one is lacking then you won't get the results you want.

I think maybe the numbers are off here - do you mean to say you're eating over 300 grams of protein a day???

Sorry I meant I try to make sure each of my meals contain 100g of protein and my snacks are about 50g so in one day if i have 3 main meals and 2 snacks I might have min of 400g of protein that day. I try not to snack on anything but protein.
  • katrinajMiles
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist or studied anything but just from my personal experiences the only advice I can give you is.

Eat healthy vegetables, fruit and lots of protein and try stay away from processed foods.

When I first started out I used to make sure all main meals had at least 100g of protein and snacks had 50g of protein.

-I found snacks were really important and speed up my metabolism and would snack on boiled eggs, ham and foods high in protein. I tried to limit my carbs to before 12noon. All I can say is up protein and snack more see how you go.

Remember it's 80% Food 20% exercise so if one is lacking then you won't get the results you want.

I think maybe the numbers are off here - do you mean to say you're eating over 300 grams of protein a day???

300 grams is a TON of protein. I always thought a good but also high amount is 30g a meal, like 90 a day. Protein has 4 calories a gram, so already with just the protein you would be at 1200 calories. I guess if you only ate meat.

All I am saying is this worked for me. I try not and look at calories more the food I'm consuming. Example you are much better to have an apple that might be 80 calories compared to a piece of chocolate that might be the same amount of calories but not have the same nutrients. I find it quite easy to stay under or around 1200 on what I am eating at the moment.

For Women the recommended amount of protein consumed is 100g and 50g for a snack so I have always tried to stick to that.
  • cutegymbug
    cutegymbug Posts: 5 Member
    Options

300 grams is a TON of protein. I always thought a good but also high amount is 30g a meal, like 90 a day. Protein has 4 calories a gram, so already with just the protein you would be at 1200 calories. I guess if you only ate meat.

All I am saying is this worked for me. I try not and look at calories more the food I'm consuming. Example you are much better to have an apple that might be 80 calories compared to a piece of chocolate that might be the same amount of calories but not have the same nutrients. I find it quite easy to stay under or around 1200 on what I am eating at the moment.

For Women the recommended amount of protein consumed is 100g and 50g for a snack so I have always tried to stick to that.
  • cutegymbug
    cutegymbug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought the recommended protein was 100 grams/day, not 100 grams a meal, for a female. A 3-4 ounce chicken breast has 26 grams of protein. You would have to eat 4 chicken breasts.
  • dandelioncoach
    dandelioncoach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but at 5'9", 155, with all that working out, it seems very likely that your body has found its happy weight? I'm 5'4 and I know at my fittest and healthiest I was a solid 130, so it seems possible you're not far off.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought the recommended protein was 100 grams/day, not 100 grams a meal, for a female. A 3-4 ounce chicken breast has 26 grams of protein. You would have to eat 4 chicken breasts.

i think the person means they eat 100g of things that contain protein. So 100g of chicken, yielding 26g of protein or whatevs.

QUESTION - I don't liek the road map, for a start, so please don't send me there :)

I weigh 94 kg, i'm 1.75 m tall and I work out or exercise 6 days a week. My workouts vary between walking, netball, jogging (as umpiring), gym, excercise bike and home workouts. My workouts are at least 300 cal, but can go as high as 15-1600. (Based on MFP calculations).

My BMR is 1720 and my TDEE is hard to work out but averages out at around 2500. I have medicated hypothyroidism, and remove 200 from my TDEE before calculating how much lower than TDEE I eat, so I use TDEE of 2300. So I'm eating at TDEE less 20% technically.

I eat 1800 and don't eat back my excercise calories. I hit the 12 kg lost since boxing day mark on March 9 but since then haven't broken under that. I don't believe I'm plateaued, as it's gone up and down again. During the last ten days I had my TOM and then changed my thyroid meds. Before that I was steadily losing 1kg ish every 6-7 days.

Am I still doing it right given my extenuating circumstances of TOM/meds? I'm starting to look thin, fit and toned, but I want to lose another 13kg.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant I try to make sure each of my meals contain 100g of protein and my snacks are about 50g so in one day if i have 3 main meals and 2 snacks I might have min of 400g of protein that day. I try not to snack on anything but protein.

Unless you're mainlining protein powder I don't think you're giving us the right numbers here...
    Am I still doing it right given my extenuating circumstances of TOM/meds? I'm starting to look thin, fit and toned, but I want to lose another 13kg.

If it's not working for you anymore then obviously you might want to change something. Although if you're starting to look thin, fit and toned then I'd say just keep doing what you're doing.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, you are far from sedentary, so not sure why you have yourself on that setting. :tongue:

And even though you said not to say it, you need to take a rest day. The body needs time to rest, repair, and heal from the hard work you've been doing.

If you feel you MUST exercise daily just so you can eat, you might consider setting your goal to TDEE (make sure you've got the right number based on activity level, which means don't use sedentary! you're very active!), subtract 20% and eat to that number every day. You don't eat back exercise cals with this method, just eat to goal every day.

I use this topic for setting my calorie goal and my macros and have had great success with fat loss: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 I started with my TDEE minus 20% and ate that way for about a year - lost my last 10lbs, a lot of fat and dropped a size. Since hitting goal weight, I still have some fat to lose, but I lowered my deficit to between 10-15%, so 1950 calories a day, whether I workout or not. It's easy, it's sustainable and it works.

^^This^^

Really, do this, it works!

You need to eat much more. Even if you didn't workout it all, 1200 kcals is to few. You're messing up your metabolism. It's getting slow
  • trudijoy
    Options
    If it's not working for you anymore then obviously you might want to change something. Although if you're starting to look thin, fit and toned then I'd say just keep doing what you're doing.

thanks...yeah i've changed shape a LOT in the past couple weeks.

I've also had a (TMI) constipation situation since I changed my meds that is just part and parcel and will pass (no pun intended) which could be skewing things too?

i really don't wanna juggle with 1800 one day, 2000 another etc as I'm feeling free of my ED (self-starve) . .
  • trudijoy
    Options
    bump :)
  • Redson25
    Redson25 Posts: 16
    Options
    Just a thought, but at 5'9", 155, with all that working out, it seems very likely that your body has found its happy weight? I'm 5'4 and I know at my fittest and healthiest I was a solid 130, so it seems possible you're not far off.

I suppose that is possible, but I really don't want it to be. A pysical trainer once told me that some people's bodies are happy at a certain weight and when they eat more they don't really gain much and when they eat less they don't really lose much. She said they stay in a range of 10 to 15 lbs. I considered that I could be one of these people because I use to be a competitive swimmer from age 8 through college and when I stopped after college I never gained and all my clothes still fit and I wasn't working out at all.

I just really really hope that isn't the case for me because I don't look good in a swimsuit, I have a big belly and I really want that to shrink. One time at a bus stop a women asked me if I was pregnant. and i was 5'9" and 148 at the time, so I was not that over weight at all, my stomach is just where all my fat is. I have an absolutely flat *kitten* and skinny legs. I am the opposite of most females where I actually want a bigger *kitten* (or rather my belly fat to move south a bit). But mostly I just want this belly gone! ugh! Thanks for your thoughts though, let me know if you have any other ideas.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options

Great post - thanks for sharing it!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If I were underestimating my activity level, then wouldn't I be losing for sure? I do over an hour of cardio a day because I have the time and burn 600, but other than that the rest of my day is computer work, reading, cooking, ie - pretty sedentary. Oh, for those looking at my fitness diary, I was sick twice and missed almost a week of exercise, but I still mostly only ate 1200 calories that day.

Too large a deficit can be detrimental, you need to eat to fuel your workouts, and you need to take a rest day.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • dandelioncoach
    dandelioncoach Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I suppose that is possible, but I really don't want it to be. A pysical trainer once told me that some people's bodies are happy at a certain weight and when they eat more they don't really gain much and when they eat less they don't really lose much. She said they stay in a range of 10 to 15 lbs. I considered that I could be one of these people because I use to be a competitive swimmer from age 8 through college and when I stopped after college I never gained and all my clothes still fit and I wasn't working out at all.

I just really really hope that isn't the case for me because I don't look good in a swimsuit, I have a big belly and I really want that to shrink. One time at a bus stop a women asked me if I was pregnant. and i was 5'9" and 148 at the time, so I was not that over weight at all, my stomach is just where all my fat is. I have an absolutely flat *kitten* and skinny legs. I am the opposite of most females where I actually want a bigger *kitten* (or rather my belly fat to move south a bit). But mostly I just want this belly gone! ugh! Thanks for your thoughts though, let me know if you have any other ideas.

So, it sounds like your issue isn't as much about wanting to lose weight as much as some redistribution and sculpting. My understanding is that there is a strong correlation between belly fat and our body chemistry, related to insulin response, and hormone balance. There some great info on this in much of the Paleo/Primal literature, but the gist is, removing sugar and alcohol, dramatically reducing carbs in general--eat some squash and sweet potatoes, for example, but no grains of breads. Check out "It Starts with Food" by Melissa Hartwig. Or Gary Taubes' book (I can't remember the title right now). Finally, I know a a lot of us women have a false notion from the media that our tummies are supposed to be concave practically, or have no roundness, which for most people is unrealistic, because there's organs under there. Of course, you know your body best, just throwing that out there! Good luck!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

thanks...yeah i've changed shape a LOT in the past couple weeks.

I'm going through the same thing right now. No pounds lost but I am losing inches. I have not lost any pounds since February 24th but I have lost 5 inches in the past two weeks alone. I'm learning that the pounds don't matter - my size does. What does it matter how much I weigh as long as I get to the size I want to wear and am shaped the way I want to be shaped?
  • katrinajMiles
    Options

i think the person means they eat 100g of things that contain protein. So 100g of chicken, yielding 26g of protein or whatevs.

Yes sorry that is what I meant. I'd have a 100g chicken breast with my dinner or 50g tin of tuna for a snack.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    It's not the amount of calories or even the exercise that is the problem it's what you are eating. I looked at your diary for a couple of days and didn't see many vegetables, fruits, lean protein or whole grains.

You might want to try "cleaner" eating and see what it does for your weightloss. I plateau whenever I introduce wheat or any processed foods...as long as I stay eating clean I keep dropping at a rate I am happy with.
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    looking at your food diary, i would try and reduce some of the grain products you are consuming. and add vegetables lots of vegetables and some fruit. Also chinese food is very high in sugar and sodium. Also stay away from processed foods.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have my net calorie limit on MFP set to 1200 which will let me lose 1.2lb a week. My setting is on Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting, and when I figure my TDEE on http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ says it is 1909 (which I think is high). That does not include exercise. I have not been working a full time job (I want to, I just can't find one in my field) so I have the time to work out. I run 6 days a week for 45 minutes and burn around 400-450 calories and I do the 30 day shred thing 7 days a week and burn 220. Well, that is what my heart rate monitor says. So I typically burn about 600 cals from working out almost every day of the week except the day I skip the run. I also do weights, using dumbbells like bicep and triceps and some back lifting. Nothing major, every other day and it takes about 10 minutes for that whole routine. I do not add those cals into my total. My motivation for working out everyday is that I would have a hard time eating only 1200 cals, but when I eat back the exercise cals I can eat 1800, sometimes even more. So I have been doing this for 8 weeks and haven't really lost any weight. Actually I started working out 4 months ago, but only started counting calories 8 weeks ago. MFP says I have lost 10 pounds but I have really only lost 3, because when I first weighed myself I was 160 then the next day I was suddenly 155, so really I started at 155. Now I am 152ish. I try not to go by the scale, but my measurements haven't changed much either. And the tight pants I use as a test have not really gotten any larger.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Should I only eat back like half the exercise calories? Also, please don't say I need to take days off working out, because then I will over eat and I want to get my resting heart rate down to 60, and I think mentally I need to. Even though I do pretty much despise it! Also, I don't eat super healthy but I get a lot of protein and I do watch the cal intake very closely and if I eat high calorie food I eat less that day. I don't binge but I do eat pizza and whatnot. Don't know if it matters but I am 5'9" and 30 years old. Any advice would be rad! thanks! Also, sorry this was so long and probably everyone asks these same questions and goes through this exact same thing. I guess I am just wondering if I shouldn't eat back the exercise calories.

This is most likely what you're doing wrong:

http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

http://youtu.be/HGunZpKLb5o