Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and 20% Below TDEE

Options
I am asking help from others who have thyroid disease or individuals who knowledgeable about weight loss with the disease. Being that my metabolism is slower than normal, is there anyone on here with thyroid disease that did well on the 20% deficit or did you find that you had to cut out more? I just upped my calories because I am a tall girl and I realized that I was eating at only my BMR on days I did not work out and I could not eat enough calories on my workout days so I decided to use the 20% below TDEE and make my calorie intake more even throughout the week, with a day or two of splurging but my over all weekly calories still at a deficit. I have noticed some results, but slow. I am hoping using TDEE will help. thanks in advance.

Note: I am already pretty much gluten free except some splurges here and there, because I have seen research that many Hashimoto's patients do better on a gluten free diet

PS if you look at my Diary, don't judge to harshly on Friday and Saturday, it was St. Patrick's day weekend Lol, I was still at a deficit for the week, maybe not as much as I wanted LOL

Replies

• donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 15 years ago. I take 150mcg of thyroxine daily.

I find I put on weight easily and I have to work a bit harder to lose it. In terms of eating I probably eat a little less most of the time than others would (I have my cals set to 1600 and eat back most of my exercise cals most of the time). Doing this with cardio and weight training I have lost 9 pounds and am about ready to hit maintenance.

I think TDEE -20% is a good place to start. You may need to do a bit of tweaking here and there, but it should help you achieve the results you are looking for.

I admire you for the gluten free - I have tried but it is something I can't seem to achieve :smile:

Donna
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well I am not completely gluten free, I still enjoy the occasional splurge and as long as I dont go overboard on the bread, pasta keep it to one or two meals a week then I don't get those awful bloating symptoms anymore. thank you!
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there, are you on any medication. I'm on meds now but gained 15kg last year before I started on them and they are still trying to get the dose right so to lose weight I'm not following my TDEE less 20% rule as it doesn't take my condition into account.
  • skincy
    Options
    I am on 90mg of Armour thyroid and take supplements that are recommended by many thyroid experts, such as a good multivitamin with selenium, omegas, CLA, Vitamin D and BCAAs. My levels are pretty good and I feel good most of the time. Just have a hard time losing. I am an ultra marathoner and it made me gain weight! :) but I am taking a break from running and doing more weight and circuit training to combat the fat!
  • skincy
    Options
    Hi there, are you on any medication. I'm on meds now but gained 15kg last year before I started on them and they are still trying to get the dose right so to lose weight I'm not following my TDEE less 20% rule as it doesn't take my condition into account.

what calorie range are following and what is your activity level?
  • donnam40
    Options
    I have done marathons too. I am getting the best results from weights and HIIT. I still do one longer run a week (only 10 to 12 kms now), but I am in far better shape than I was when I was churning out 100+ kms per week.

Donna
  • skincy
    Options
    Cool a fellow crazy person! :) I still plan on doing my races but I am taking a break until May and then I will be training for my first 100 miler. I have done lots of marathons, a couple of 50 milers and a 70 mile 24 hour run. I know its crazy but I actually do enjoy it. However I next time I go in training I am cutting back on my over miles and make sure that I keep up the HIIT and Weights
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options

what calorie range are following and what is your activity level?

I'm on 1340 cal a day and my activity level is really low at the moment. You can look at my diary.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have Hshimotos as well. I am on 125 microgram of levothyroxine
    I was on low cals for a long time, and that mainly destroyed my metabolism, not Hashimitos, as we are supplementing with the hormones.
    I did a metabolism repair, and now I am maintaining my weight at 2600 kcal. I am 5'7" and weigh in at 155 lbs. so I am losing at 2400. I am lifting heavy three times a week, doing HIIT twice a week and yoga once.
    If you do ultra marathons you have to make sure you do fuel your workouts properly. If I maintain with almost no cardio at 2600, chances are, you do need to eat a LOT more to keep your metabolism humming!
  • donnam40
    Options
    I did a metabolism repair,

What is a 'metabolism repair'?

You've got me interested.

Donna
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Im not hashis but im hypothyroid. I read somewhere that thyroid patients are best at tdee - 200 -20% to account for our crap metabolisms. My tdee average is around 2500 and i eat 1800 and burn anywhere between 300-1500 6 days a week. I have lost 12 kg/26lb in 80 days
  • skincy
    Options
    I have Hshimotos as well. I am on 125 microgram of levothyroxine
    I was on low cals for a long time, and that mainly destroyed my metabolism, not Hashimitos, as we are supplementing with the hormones.
    I did a metabolism repair, and now I am maintaining my weight at 2600 kcal. I am 5'7" and weigh in at 155 lbs. so I am losing at 2400. I am lifting heavy three times a week, doing HIIT twice a week and yoga once.
    If you do ultra marathons you have to make sure you do fuel your workouts properly. If I maintain with almost no cardio at 2600, chances are, you do need to eat a LOT more to keep your metabolism humming!

Well right now I am on a break from extreme running, because I am concentrating on losing some weight because I know it will be much better for me and my performance. But I agree, those kinds of miles require alot of calories!
  • skincy
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2900 with my activity so my TDEG is 2200. I am going to stick to that for awhile and see what happens. I am a tall girl so I am sure that is why mine is more than the average female.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I net around 1300 a day (but eat much more on work out days since I eat back all my calories). I would caution you though, about assuming your metabolism is slow due to Hashimoto's. If your levels are good, it shouldn't really affect your BMR. I had mine tested at the local hospital and it was 10% higher than the online estimators. I of course was assuming it would be lower than the estimates, but it wasn't.

TDEE-20% never worked for me though. I mean, I did lose weight, just at a slower pace than I wanted (about 2 to 2.5 lbs. per month when I was still obese). I net about TDEE - 45%, and have done so for nearly 2 years. It hasn't affected my metabolism at all.
  • skincy
    Options
    with 40 pounds I think losing 1-2 pounds a week will be alright, personally I would rather do it slow so I can eat more :laugh: Thank you everyone.

If anyone else has some tips feel free!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    with 40 pounds I think losing 1-2 pounds a week will be alright, personally I would rather do it slow so I can eat more :laugh: Thank you everyone.

If anyone else has some tips feel free!

I average losing .8 lbs per week, netting about 300 below my BMR but eating 1500 to 2400 gross per day (on workout days, which are 4 to 5 times a week)
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    And just for clarification, if I were to eat TDEE - 20% (where you don't eat back your exercise calories) I would be eating, gross, about 1840 calories per day. With eating 1300 net, I'm eating gross, on average, about 1600 calories a day (which happens to be my current BMR).

This also reflects a currently lower level of working out due to poor weather (averaging only 4 times a week instead of 5).
  • skincy
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! I think I am going to try this 20% below TDEE for a couple of week since I work out 6 days a week and see how I do. If I do not see results then I can always increase the percentage.
  • dreamagain1327
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday night.. Basically I have lost some weight long time ago and I was maintaining it when suddenly BOOOM I've gained over 25 lbs in one month, while eating right and excercising. I am depressed but I always blamed it on my weight gain. I am chronically tired and cold, I don't feel like doing nothing and now I know it's all because of this sickness.. I'm losing hair and I was always known for having perfect skin and now I just look like total trash. I exercise and eat right and my weight doesn't move. My dietician said it'd because of my diet and exercise that I've gained only that weight; that with my levels people gain even 50lbs...
    I'm starting to take meds now, will it be possible to help my weight loss? Can I ever go back to what I've been before?
    I feel like e body I am in now is not me. I am small and strong and happy and this body I'm living in now is gross and its just not me..
  • dreamagain1327
    Options
    I was a beginner model when it happened too...