Insanity - taking a break while on vacation?

Options
maisid
maisid Posts: 69 Member
Hi,

I have a question that has been on my mind for a while.
First off let me say, I am on day 28 of Insanity and so far I am loving the workout. I will start with the recovery week tomorrow, let's see what that is about.

My concern is going on vacation on friday (day 34) to Istanbul, I will be walking a lot during the day to sightsee and I wont be spending much time at the hotel or even at a beach or pool and just relax. I will be busy all day long. I was at first thinking I should be able to do the workouts at the hotel, but I am not sure anymore if it is a good idea.
1. I will be on my feet all day long, so I will probably burn a lot of calories
2. I am staying at an old hotel, I am not sure if my neighbors would want me to jump around at 6 in the morning
3. I don't really want to bring my laptop and the dvd's with me on vacation, the space in my luggage should be used for souvenirs

So yes, I am making a lot of excuses for why I shouldn't do the workout while on vacation. ;)

My thought is to take a break from Insanity and start again on Day 1 as soon as I get home. What do you guys think? Is taking a break and starting all over the easiest and hopefully best solution?

Hilsen / Greetings / Grüße

Mai-Britt

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should call it a break and reset to day 1 when you return.

You could always do some simple pushups, burpees, squats, for a little bit while on vacation or just find a gym to hit up while over there?
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    If it were me, I'd start at the recovery week when I got home. If you have already finished the first month, why start off at the very beginning again? Unless you are going to be away for longer than a week or two. I'm doing Insanity now, currently starting week 3 and plan on skipping the recovery DVD's and just do something else like Skating and TAE BO that week instead. I would get bored too easily if I had to do the same thing 6 days in a row. Have a nice vacation.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm usually very diligent about getting in a workout of some sort every day but make an exception when I'm on a European vacation (which, of course, doesn't happen very often). As you said, you spend all day on your feet. The last 2 times I've had a sprint triathlon a couple of weeks after getting home so I still wanted to keep all the muscles moving. Most days after DH put his feet up in the hotel room at the end of a day of sightseeing, I'd go out for a run. It's actually a good way to discover a place- I found the Parc Real in Madrid near out hotel and we went back the next day and rented a rowboat! I know that Turkey is largely Muslim but a more liberal version- not sure how they'd take it if you went through the streets in shorts and a T-shirt so you should check out the territory first if you choose outdoor runs.

At any rate, I've rarely used a hotel gym in Europe unless I was there on business. Enjoy the trip and do whatever it takes to get back in shape when you get home. You'll just be exercising different muscles.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Excuse #1 to take a break while on vacation: YOU'RE ON VACATION
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you'll be gone. If only for a week or so I wouldn't restart at week 1. Start where you left off. Or even just a couple days back. at Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs.

Enjoy your vacation.
  • maisid
    maisid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the great input.

I have been thinking a lot about what to do, and I know for sure that after I am done with the 63 days of Insanity I will do another 63 days. I just love the workout so much!!!

So knowing I wouldn't stop with the workout after the first round, and knowing I wouldn't need a motivation boost to get started, I have decided to start on day 1 again after my vacation. It will also give me the chance to get better at doing the plyometric exercises, which I am no good at!!!

I do appreciate all your help and I am looking forward to an extremely interesting week in Istanbul.