Pre-workout Snack

Should I eat carbs before a workout? I have been, but my nutrition professor recommends not to eat anything 30 minutes prior to an aerobic workout.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Eat when you're hungry.

If you find that you get a more efficient workout with some carbs in your stomach than go for it.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    I eat a banana 30 minutes before I lift, it does seem to help.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    For me it depends on how long and how hard I am going to go. If I am preparing to run more than 6 miles then I usually eat before I go Or I might bring a granola bar with me to give me something to eat along the way. For shorter runs or lifting I generally don't eat for an hour before and usually not for an hour after or else I feel sick while I'm working out. For me it's about having the carbs to fuel the workout, but only if I am going to need them.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    it really depends on the person. i'm someone who must eat before a workout otherwise i'll get dizzy and/or pass out.

i have a light snack that is protein/carb rich and then i workout. after my workout, i eat breakfast that is also protein/carb rich with some healthy fats too.
  • if i don't eat before i workout i feel sick and sluggish. everybody is different though.