Stomach & Chest Exercises

Good afternoon everyone,
I have managed to lose 33 lb and have 21 lb more to lose to reach my target of 12 Stone, although people are being very kind and saying they can see the weight loss in my face, I do still have quite a prominent stomach and chest, does anyone know of a few exercises that might help this area, I am also susceptible to a bad back so cannot be too vigorous.

I cannot afford a gym so need to do this stuff at home, I am currently jogging on the spot for 90 minutes each day and doing 150 sit ups.

Thank you if you take the time to answer.

Replies

• teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    So you won't be able to just spot reduce the fat from your stomach, it will go as you lose more weight. Your specific body will lose weight from where it chooses first (usually the belly and chest are the last place to go for guys). So my suggestion would be to keep on track with your weight loss (great job losing 33lbs by the way!) maybe add in some push-ups which will help your arms, back, shoulders and chest and some planks if you are looking for something more for your core. In my opinion, there isn't much that beats planks for a core workout.

Now don't forget if you are bored with the standard push-up, there are variations you can do. Incline, decline, and different hand positions that will target different areas. Push-ups are a staple of body weight training because of how many different areas you can target. A quick google search should lead you to every variation of the push-up you can do. If you want more information, please feel free to PM me.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    I think everyone is going to tell you that you cannot spot reduce so sit ups are not really going to help (they don't hurt mind you, they just will not make your stomach fat go away).

With men, the stomach is usually the first place we gain fat and of course, it is also the last place we lose fat. Keep up your dieting whatever that presently is and add some body weight resistance trainer to your program. Squats, push ups, pull ups. Fitnessnerds has some good body weight programs as well as "death by body weight".
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    belly fat is made in the kitchen so a clean diet and eating within your caloric range for weight loss is imperative. cardio + weight training is also important to lose belly fat.... and be patient.. it takes time!

chest exercises: chest press, chest flies, push ups (standard, wide, chatarunga [aka military pushups], incline/decline pushups [just put your feet up on a chair for decline])

core: dynamic and static planking (**make sure you back/hips do not bow towards the floor!**), crunches (upper/lower abs), russian twist (with or without weights), bicycle. there are so many exercises you can do for core -- just google them and watch on youtube. make sure you also work your back because your core is not just your front but also your posterior muscles so do supermans etc for this.

ps: when you strengthen your core, you also improve and further your back so if you have a bad back, don't be surprised if your pain goes away!