Sick and no appetite, what to eat to get enough cals?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty sick right now and finding that my appetite has really decreased. However, I would never want to harm my body and I am scared of going into starvation mode during this time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on foods to eat to get the important nutrients and to make sure I have enough calories so I do not go into starvation mode? My needs at about 1200 calories a day.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Replies

• cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Scandishakes or Ensure are pretty good choices if you don't feel like eating at all. My patients tell me that the scandishakes taste better.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Alot of creamy soup :smile:
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I could try that, but that involves getting to the storeeeee haha. I'm sitting im bed right now with emergen C and a cup of tea. Hoping I have some soup in the cabinent for later because I really do not want to get up :/
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    when i was sick recently i found it easier to sip on a smoothie.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Soup, any sort that is really brothy. But in my opinion, while sick you need to listen to your body. If you aren't hungry then don't force yourself to eat as that could make the sickness worse. Remember the old adage(sp?), feed a cold and starve a fever. It won't do you any good to eat if you are just going to throw it up again due to a stomach bug. Feel better soon!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to keep hydrated - and that includes salt and sugar if you're vomiting. Don't worry about the number of calories, just have something you can keep down like crackers, toast (maybe without any spread, or add some PB or marmite if you can stomah it). Clear soups are best, or even something like a cup of stock or Bovril. Worry about calories (and exercise) when you're better.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Soup, any sort that is really brothy. But in my opinion, while sick you need to listen to your body. If you aren't hungry then don't force yourself to eat as that could make the sickness worse. Remember the old adage(sp?), feed a cold and starve a fever. It won't do you any good to eat if you are just going to throw it up again due to a stomach bug. Feel better soon!
    This. You won't hit starvation mode because you don't eat for a few days while sick. Take care of yourself, keep hydrated, and eat when you start to get hungry again.
  • cschiff
    Options
    thanks guys :) but ya know, it is not a stomach bug! It's just a really bad throat/nose thing so I was very surprised that I have not been hungry.... who knew?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My last bad cold had me living on Breyer's fruit popcicles and Wheat Thins for 4 days. As others have said, eat what you can keep down and don't worry about hitting your calorie goals, and listen to what you're body is saying.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Chicken soup always helps me when I have a cold or sore throat. :)
  • cschiff
    Options
    thanks, everyone! it's now 11 am and I gotta get my butt to class soon. zionks.
    i found some canned chicken noodle soup... not mama's homemade, but oh well. college. haha

thanks for the support :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're all bunged up, you mgiht not be able to smell properly and that is half of appetite. don't worry