What counts as "water?"

Options
13»

Replies

• swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Water and herb or fruit teas no sugar..... One thought fruit teas cold zapped with a soda stream for those who dont like plain water might be an idea....
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I couldn't always drink water so easily but I worked my way up to it. Yesterday I drank 6L of pure water (1.6 gallons). I'm a 220lb male, I don't suggest you drink this much, but the point is that it's just a habit you have to form. I have a 16oz glass at my desk and carry it around with me if I'm at home ;)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My Naturopath tells his patients to drink eight 8-oz glasses per day of clean water (no fluoride or chlorine). The other liquids are in addition. And for every cup of coffee he said to drink an extra cup of water. These recommendations are to keep you hydrated and also to help keep you detoxing.

Back in December I was out having lunch with my son we asked for bottled water. They brought us a brand I never had before in a tall slim bottle . . . VOSS from Norway. The bottle is 3.1 fl oz, just over 3 cups.

I saved the bottle and have been using it since then, filling it 3 times a day. I work from home, so using a glass "water bottle" is not a problem. I'm also fortunate because we have clean well water!

THE BIG TIP is that for some reason, the water chugs down so easy. No, it glides down. There is something about the shape and size of the opening and the shape and size of this bottle that make drinking water so effortless, lol.

So if anyone out there is struggling to meet your goal of drinking 8+ cups of water a day . . . I suggest finding VOS, and then keep reusing the bottle. I know it's sold at the D'Agostino's grocery stores in NYC. Its probably all over.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wait, does adding the flavored powder turn it into non-water? Heavens, what the minerals it picks up on the way to your glass must do to it! Now you have to distill every drop of water before you drink it, just to make sure it counts. And you'd better not put it into a bottle because the structure of the water molecule will automatically pick up trace amounts of the glass, plastic, or whatever else you put it in. Heck, you'd better filter the air you distill it from too, otherwise Lord knows what could end up in it.

Sorry, on a more serious note, water, tea, coffee (you might only count 6 out of 8 ounces because the caffeine will dehydrate you for an ounce or two), soda (true, they're full of sugar or artifical sweeteners and everyone knows they're bad for you but your body still counts the water content as water), milk (only count 5 out of 8 ounces because the other contents take up the other 3), ...you get the point. If your body processes it as water, go ahead and count it as water.

Things NOT to count as water: Alcohol (not only should this not count as water, but you should prehydrate to counteract the dehydration it causes), energy drinks (the caffiene content is high enough that it will dehydrate you more than it hydrates you), crisco.

^^haha....this : )
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oprah did a big disservice to her audience by reinforcing this belief as well. ... (She also brought on the pox of Drs Oz and Phil, for which she shouldn't be forgotten or forgiven).

This. If mass media and talk show hosts are pimping it, you can safely call BS on it.

Oh, and I almost threw something at my TV the first time I saw the bottled water commercial where the kids soccer coach went to give them a sports drink and the one smug little girl on the team asked why they weren't drinking water instead. That was just shy of the "sugar is sugar" commercial that the HFCS industry put out. (And people wonder why I don't watch TV.)

As for what you track, I rather like plain old tap water so that's all I count. However, I'll agree that adding a little flavoring doesn't magically make it not water. As long as it doesn't contain a ton of sugar, caffeine or alcohol I don't see the harm in counting it towards your hydration.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Plain water is my favourite beverage, actually, and it's hard for me to understand how other people might not also love it.

But yeah any liquid will be ok :) (including that in soups!) The pee test mentioned above is the best measure, if you're worried.

However would like to recommend low-sodium club soda with a fresh cut lemon wedge & fresh mint sprigs and like a teaspoon of sugar, which is only 20 cals, because that is almost a mojito, which is the second best drink in the world, and imo way tastier than Crystal Light (but if you like that nothing wrong with it either).
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Also remember that vitamins C and B complex are water soluble and you could be flushing these essential vitamins down the toilet by drinking so much you are going to the loo too often. You can over-drink.
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Water...I also count it when I mix it with Crystal light.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Any fluid counts for hydration. The 8 glasses of water claim is a myth. The actual medical recommendation was about 2.5 liters of fluid, and the text specifically mentioned coffee, tea, soda, juice, milk, and water all as viable sources.

It was the bottled water industry that changed the word "fluid" to "water" in a marketing scheme to increase sales.

This.

If it splashes. You can count it as water.