Belly Fat

Options

Replies

• michiapp
    michiapp Posts: 2
    Options
    The advice I received from a personal trainer is to eat most your carbs in the morning, less at lunch and try to avoid them altogether at night. Cut out refined sugars as much as possible and limit your natural sugars. Limit the "bad fat" as much as possible. Eat more veggies. He also told me that no matter how hard you work your abs or how much cardio you do, "belly fat" will only completely go away if you're eating healthy.
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So if I workout 6 days a week (on average I burn 500-800 cal per workout) how many cal I should eat then??
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    i do 250 sit ups a day, it works.

I hope that was sarcasm.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    The_Angry_Fish_Guy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You joined MFP last month, how long have you been ACTIVLEY exercising? Please tell me you CANNOT expect to lose a glorious amount of weight in such little time.
    Persistance and patience is your best advice ANYONE will give you..

Boom.. You're welcome.
  • ilonawie
    Options
    You joined MFP last month, how long have you been ACTIVLEY exercising? Please tell me you CANNOT expect to lose a glorious amount of weight in such little time.
    Persistance and patience is your best advice ANYONE will give you..

Boom.. You're welcome.

I am not talking 20 lb...lol :) maybe 2 to 3 inches I would be happy...
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    yes... I am on fitness pal for 5 weeks... I am losing average 1.2 a week, I am up to 8lb lost at this moment

That's great-- it sounds like you're already doing what you need to do. When you stop losing weight on your current regiment, you can reevaluate, but for now, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Abs are really made in the kitchen.

This just made me snort. :laugh:

Anyway, personal go-to recommendation is weight lifting. I started stronglifts 5 x 5 3 weeks ago and have lost 1/2 inch at my waist, 2 inches at my belly button, and 1/2 inch of muffin top. Calling that a win!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Anyway, personal go-to recommendation is weight lifting. I started stronglifts 5 x 5 3 weeks ago and have lost 1/2 inch at my waist, 2 inches at my belly button, and 1/2 inch of muffin top. Calling that a win!
    snort if you want, but it's the truth.

Lifting is great and I recommend it, but there's no out-exercising an improper diet.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I need more patience then....

Yes :) Stay consistent and you'll be rewarded - I'd also recommend weight lifting if you aren't already -
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can't force your body to lose fat from specific areas, but you can help your body burn fat while you are doing your 1.5 hour workouts. If you haven't already, invest in a heart rate monitor and aim to keep your heart rate at 65% - 85% of your maximum heart rate. This tells your body to use fat to fuel your workout. The leaner your get, the smaller your belly will get. Also drink plenty of water to help flush fat from your system and be sure you are eating the proper amount of calories. Lifting weights will absolutely help you build lean muscle and increase your metabolism. 'Rome was not built in a day' as the saying goes...it will definitely take some time.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can't force your body to lose fat from specific areas, but you can help your body burn fat while you are doing your 1.5 hour workouts. If you haven't already, invest in a heart rate monitor and aim to keep your heart rate at 65% - 85% of your maximum heart rate. This tells your body to use fat to fuel your workout. The leaner your get, the smaller your belly will get. Also drink plenty of water to help flush fat from your system and be sure you are eating the proper amount of calories. Lifting weights will absolutely help you build lean muscle and increase your metabolism. 'Rome was not built in a day' as the saying goes...it will definitely take some time.

QFT!!!!
  • ilonawie
    Options
    Thanks all for all the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • fishlover888
    Options

Lifting is great and I recommend it, but there's no out-exercising an improper diet.

OOH! I agree. I totally read that wrong as in 'women should be in the kitchen' like it was a joke...

Yes, what you eat matters for sure!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Totally agree....abs truly are made in the kitchen....you really cant out exercise over eating.....
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Trust me in the amount of time I have been here plus the weight I lost while preggo, my belly has gone down quite a bit, but you can't spot reduce. It just doesn't happen. Give it time, it will come.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It will go....sloooooooowly! Take pics now and every month, fiind a pair of snug jeans - you will see a difference.

And try to incorporate some floor exercises for abs - I am slowly seeing a difference. You can't reduce fat in just one spot but by becoming more toned and losing weight overall it will disappear.

This is true. People lose differntly just the same way as people gain differently. I gain from the bottom up, first on my lower body (hips, butt, lower abdomen, your classic pear shape)... and unfortunately I lose from the top down, so the place I need to lose the most, the bottom, is the last place to go only because there is more settles there so of course it takes longer.

It's a slow change. Measue by how your clothes fit, NOT by the scale. The scale is just frustrating when you don't see it move, or you even see a gain of 1-2 after seeing a loss of 6... for me, I'm avoiding certain clothing items. Lit one certain pair of pants for work, that got way too tight. I've avaoided this one pair for a good month now and I will not try putting them back on until the end of March. I want to be able to see and feel a big difference.
  • slau14
    slau14 Posts: 1
    Options
    The only way I have got belly fat to shrink is by cutting out bread and all other wheat products, like tortillas, croutons, etc. Check out the book, Wheat Belly. Really helped me and for the first time I'm losing that fat.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i do 250 sit ups a day, it works.

I've heard that you need to do 300 sit ups a day to burn belly fat. You were sooooo close! :tongue:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am glad I read this thread. I am still a work in progress and the one area of concern I have is my belly. It is getting smaller, but not as fast as I would like. So for the OP and me, I guess it's just be patient and keep on keeping on!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Anything over an hour of exercise isn't going to help you lose belly fat. Look up cortisol. There's a reason endurance athletes rarely have 6 packs.