What do you do about clothes while losing?

I have a good problem - my clothes aren't fitting me well. I've lost the first 9 pounds of a 27-pound goal, and it's definitely starting to show.

My question is, what have you guys done about clothing? Most of my shirts fit just fine (and look much better than they used to), but my pants (especially work pants) are almost falling off. I can't afford to buy a lot of new clothes, then get rid of them in a few months when I lose more weight.

I'd love to hear any strategies you guys have used to dress well while losing without replacing your wardrobe every 10 pounds. :o)

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523 Member
    I'm forever tightening notches on belts because I have to lose a fair bit to go down a UK size. Usually when it starts looking like a potato sack rather than a pair of trousers I'll go smaller if I can or buy a different style.
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    belts.......simple fix and cheap...I wear my clothes til I REALLY cant anymore!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    If a belt won't work, you still have some options. You can take your pants to a tailor to have them taken in - if they are nice work clothes, this will cost less (or should) than the cost of a new pair. You can wear a belt like other posters said.

One thing that I have done is shopped for smaller stuff (sort of the "interim" stuff) at thrift stores. I didn't want to spend $30-50 on something "new" when between sizes, but I was totally okay with spending $10 on something that worked better than my current stuff.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    I love shopping at consignment boutiques, top name stuff for 1/4 price.
    Wear dresses if you can, they look nice even when weight fluctuates.
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Thanks for the tips! I've been using belts so far, but like ms_leanne said, I'm starting to get the "potato sack" look on a few pairs of pants even with the belt. I'll look for consignments stores.

Great idea on dresses, juliekins64! Now that dress weather is finally starting back up, I have a lot of work dresses that I'd love to wear to show off my skinnier legs. :o)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    I take them in myself. I inherited a sewing machine when my mother passed away and used it to finish a project she was working on for my niece. I couldn't believe how easy it is to sew.

My last project was turning a pair of size 10 boot cut jeans into a pair of skinny jeans fitted to my body. So comfortable.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    I don't spend a lot of money on those in-between sizes. Target, Old Navy, and Kohls are good places to look for work clothes that aren't huge investment pieces. I have found that skirts and dresses transition better than pants too.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    I leave them alone, in case I have a "bloated day" for whatever reason it may be.
  • you could have them taken in, but if they're really too big, donate them
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    I shop at consignment/thrift stores as well. On Friday, I bought a very nice skirt, blouse and a pair of leather heels for $4! On top of losing weight, I am also unemployed and seeking work as a legal asst. I can't go to interviews without being nicely put together and my unemployment check barely lets me eat, much less shop for new clothes. I've gone from a size 18 to an 8 and can't even imagine how much money I would have spent on new clothes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Thrift stores! I bought new jeans last spring for about $3 a pair, wore them for a few months and then they were too big! I donated them back to the store. :tongue:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    If you are in the US, this is the perfect time to hit some sales! I went to Kohl's yesterday and scoured the clearance racks. I bought 12 items (including 5 work shirts, 1 gym top, 1 dress, 1 pair of shoes and a few odd and ends) for $42!!!

Otherwise, consignment stores are key!

I also think if you look under MFP Groups you might find several that do clothing swaps.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    I have dropped 25 lbs and still haven't dropped a size :(

I have the clothes I wore from when I was gaining, so I plan on just starting to pull those out and putting the bigger sizes away
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Thrift stores and clearance sales. :-)
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    thrift stores for sure! I usually don't find much at like Goodwill, but we have a Plateo's closet and a Fashion Shack which both have nice stuff at very good prices---Also look for local owned shops--they tend to a nicer selection--more name brand items.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I look on Kijiji (Canada's Craig's List, I guess)
    And there's some yard sale type groups on Facebook that I belong to, and I sell my bigger stuff and buy smaller stuff (usually pretty cheap too!) on there!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I agree with using belts. I also shopped at Goodwill. Actually, I am frugal and STILL shop at Goodwill even now that I'm at goal.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Thrift stores! I donate my bigger sizes, then go get smaller ones! Plato's Closet is great , and Clothes Mentor if you have those stores (I live in Canada and always visit those stores when I drive down to the states (North Dakota)) , they have current, newer styles for cheap! And they give you cash for your old clothes, if they take them. :)
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    I'm making temporary darts with safety pins in my dress pants. They don't look stellar (too baggy in the bottom), but it is getting my through. After I reach goal weight, I'm going to take my nice dress pants and skirts to be tailored.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Definitely shop at thrift stores. Keep the clothes to remind yourself of your progress. Once you reach your ideal body, splurge a lil. ;)