Fitbit doing odd things to daily calorie allotment

Options
I set my daily calories to 1,500. I also have a fitbit connected to my MFP account. It seems to periodically sync my steps as exercise deficits. Under exercise it states 29 calories burned (from fitbit steps). My food diary now shows 1,471 calories allowed rather than 1500.

Counter-intuitive? Why am I getting less calories for my calories burned? Is this a known bug or am I missing something?

Replies

• Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would suspect that this has to do more with the "Typical " activity level that you selected. If you have selected a moderately active lifestyle and the steps/activity from fitbit don't match the lifestyle you might get a negative calorie adjustment.

This is why I keep mine at sedentary (also because this is kinda my default) and enjoy the additional calories from my fitbit adjustment.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    MFP compares what FitBit reports as calories burned so far to its own calculations. Even if fitbit reports a certain amount of "Activity" it might still have a lower number of total calories it thinks you have burned, in which case you will get a negative adjustment (if you have that turned on).

Are you sure it gave you 29 calories burned and didn't just adjust negatively by 29 because fitbit's calorie numbers were lower than MFP's?
  • pixelled
    pixelled Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am not allowing MFP to set my goals.. I override them with my own because I workout like crazy and I know my body better than the computer does :)

Under exercise it says "Calories Burned: 29" which is fine.. but then it's taking that 29 and subtracting it from my 1500 goal saying i'm only allowed 1471 which makes absolutely no sense.

BTW this is just my steps taking throughout the day.. not my gym workout. I may have to disconnect my fitbit from my MFP account :(
  • brownie0424
    brownie0424 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had to disconnect my fitbit from MFP. It was subtracting calories even though I am doing insanity! I still use it but as a guide to take more steps through out the day.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit and MFP connected and they are pretty close to saying what I should eat a day but I don't seem to be losing much even thought I am staying at or under most of the percentages for protein/fat/carb etc. I just did a report on the fitbit for the past 12 days and it shows I've burned 27,675 calories and eaten 17,702 calories. Most days it says I am at the goal or a little over for eating but this break down divided by 12 shows I net out to only 831 calories a day! Am I not looking at this right? I know that's not enough even though I'm eating daily what each program says I should.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am not allowing MFP to set my goals.. I override them with my own because I workout like crazy and I know my body better than the computer does :)

Under exercise it says "Calories Burned: 29" which is fine.. but then it's taking that 29 and subtracting it from my 1500 goal saying i'm only allowed 1471 which makes absolutely no sense.

BTW this is just my steps taking throughout the day.. not my gym workout. I may have to disconnect my fitbit from my MFP account :(

If you look at your HOme page, and GOALS, the top right hand section is what it thinks you will burn every day from daily activity, excluding exercise.

That is what your FB calories are compared to, if FB says you will burn more than that it will add calories, if it thinks you will burn less, it will deduct calories.

It seems to think we will use an equal number of calorie per hour, as I start the day with a begative amount, and gradually through the day I catch up, and by the end of the day I have earned extra.

You can untick the "allow negative adjustment" in your settings to prevent the negative appearing.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine did the exact same thing. It was taking calories away instead of adding calories when i did exercise! I had to un-link my accounts, and now i just log it manually. :ohwell: