Alternative to Carbs

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little extreme to simply state all vegetables are carbs.

Serious question: Can you name a vegetable that is not a carbohydrate?

GMO veggies, they are poisons not carbs
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

AVOCADO

ok ok not a vegetable I know
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you lost weight when you cut bread (or potatoes or pasta) out of your evening because bread is a calorie dense food. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a carb, it was just that it was a lot of calories.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I recently bought this kitchen gadget called a Spirooli, which makes veggies into noodles!! I am addicted to zucchini noodles and the kicker is I don't even really like zucchini cooked other ways!.

I put a picture of the zucchini noodles on my profile. I'd post it here but I have quite mastered that.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    proteins and fats.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Olive oil shots

:wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Eating carbs after a certain time is one of the biggest myths in the diet industry.

Eat you carbs anytime of day you feel like it.

And just to be clear broccoli is a carb and so is any other vegetable.

Protein and fat are the only alternative to carbs.

This.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't know what carb timing has to do with it, but whatever floats your boat, honey. I've lost a bunch of weight and what time of day I ate or didn't eat something had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Any/all veggies (leave out your white potatoes if you're low carbing): roasted, steamed, stirfried, baked, etc.

More protein: meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs, etc.

Fats: avocado, butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oils, nuts/seeds, nut/seed butters.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs or any other foods for that matter know what time it is.:noway:
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you want to have a turkey burger, just wrap in lettuce and put some teriyaki sauce in there. VERY good without the guilt of a bun!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

AVOCADO

ok ok not a vegetable I know

also contains carbs
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fresh air.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You might want to explore the reasons why it has worked for you, and what "worked" actually means. Was it due to reducing your overall calories, or was it due to some magical force that science has not yet discovered?

I choose the magical force....
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I also do the no "starchy" carbs after lunch and am having great results.

Thats great :) What do you tend to eat for dinner?

Just eat what you would have had with a starchy carb, but skip the starchy carb and just eat a little more of it - in other words you make up the calorie from protein & fats (and your veg has carbs in anyway)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I restrict carbs for all meals to 10-20 net carbs for all meals, not just dinner.

Non-starchy vegetables, along with a protein, will always be a mainstay of your dinner choices. The trick to avoid boredom is to prepare them in different ways. Roasted vs steamed - completely different taste. Zucchini or broccoli fritters vs sauteed. Spices, flavored vinegars and oils and a sprinkle of cheese go a long way in making vegetables tasty and different.

Today I am having chicken parmesan meatloaf muffins, and creamy garlic broccoli (steamed broccoli with a T of garlic hummus)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you lost weight when you cut bread (or potatoes or pasta) out of your evening because bread is a calorie dense food. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a carb, it was just that it was a lot of calories.

Holy Pa-jeezus you figured it out. I think they should give you a Nobel for that. You have answered the age old question why do people lose weight on low carb or low fat diets.

I'm crowning you the MFP queen or king today.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When i say carbs I mean high carb foods like potatoes, pasta, rice and bread.

It works for me so I think that all that really matters.....Its always about whats right for the indiviuals body right?

I know I need some carbs to actually lose weight so the idea of eating lower carb food (vegetables and salad) is good for me in the evening after doing some exercise.

Plus higher carb stuff make me feel all bloated and fat after about 5pm making me not want to do any exercise.

I wasn't trying to be rude in my original post and if cutting out starchy carbs at night helps you to stay within your daily calorie intake then I am all for it. I just wanted to be clear that just because you eat carbs at a certain time doesn't mean that they are going to "turn into fat."

While you may understand this there might be someone else reading who doesn't.

My first post was brief as many of us come across this same question many times a day and was not intended to be rude.
  • SamBristol24
    Options
    You might want to explore the reasons why it has worked for you, and what "worked" actually means. Was it due to reducing your overall calories, or was it due to some magical force that science has not yet discovered?

I didnt reduce the amount of carbs I ate just when I ate them. Everybody is different. Maybe this was just works for me.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    OP- If you are looking for a good no-starch veggie meal, make a stew! Or kabobs! Use lots of mushrooms so you feel like the food is savory and filling. Tofu is also a good low-carb veg option.

I have a friend who does paleo and she makes the most amazing "noodles" out of zucchini. She just juliennes them and softens them by frying in a tiny bit of olive oil and water, then she dresses them with regular pasta sauce. They're amazing. I just got a julienne peeler and I can't wait to try it out for myself. ^_^

Ok seriously. Vegetables are not carbohydrates, they HAVE carbohydrates. Like houses HAVE bricks but houses are not bricks. Anyway, I can only think of one "vegetable" that has more protein than carbohydrate and that is sprouts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP- If you are looking for a good no-starch veggie meal, make a stew! Or kabobs! Use lots of mushrooms so you feel like the food is savory and filling. Tofu is also a good low-carb veg option.

I have a friend who does paleo and she makes the most amazing "noodles" out of zucchini. She just juliennes them and softens them by frying in a tiny bit of olive oil and water, then she dresses them with regular pasta sauce. They're amazing. I just got a julienne peeler and I can't wait to try it out for myself. ^_^

Ok seriously. Vegetables are not carbohydrates, they HAVE carbohydrates. Like houses HAVE bricks but houses are not bricks. Anyway, I can only think of one "vegetable" that has more protein than carbohydrate and that is sprouts.

you never lived in a brick house?