Don't guess your cals, could undo all your hard work..

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! And forgive my ignorance if I've got any of this wrong, I'm still learning this stuff. :smile:

Okay, so I went into your spreadsheet, and based on everything I entered there, my BF% is averaged at 32%. I double checked on another calculator that takes into account frame size to make sure I entered everything properly and it came back with the same percentage. 32%. With an LBM of 125. (I only double checked for my accuracy, not yours on the spreadsheet. I love that thing. It's awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to develop it!)

That puts Harris BMR at 1577, Katch at 1596, and BodyMedia BMR (based on calories burned during sleep) at 1728. If testing was accurate, BMR is actually 2010 or so.

Then, if I'm reading this right, my BMF is underestimating my TDEE. So I need to adjust height. Does it matter that no calculators come close to my BMR, even taking BF% and frame size into account?

The nutritionist that did my RMR testing seemed to know what she was doing and instructed me on several things in order to get an accurate reading. I didn't work out at all for 24 hours before, got a good night's sleep, hadn't eaten for 12 hours before the test, rested for 15-20 before the test in a dark room, and sat in a darkened room during the test. I was so relaxed that I almost fell asleep during the test...

P.S. Sorry bellamarie218, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! Lol

Well, that answered question if valid test based on what you were doing, good to know.

So that is interesting that BMF seems to be using an adjusted BMR so much higher than Harris BMR which they start with. Might confirm the stats on their site match what you used in spreadsheet. Otherwise looks like an increase of 1.09 over Harris BMR to get to what they are using.

So using the spreadsheet first to confirm the BMR based on tested RMR.
    TDEE Deficit tab, upper right section says My Tested RMR. Put yours in there.
    It shows the Cunningham formula results based on your LBM, sounds like there should be a decent difference.
    It also shows the BMR that would result from your tested RMR. And what the BF% would be to have a LBM burning that RMR.

So write that BMR down, that's what you need to get up to.
    Now go here for BMR tool.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

Enter in stats except for BF%. There's the Harris BMR. Just keep increasing the height until the BMR matches what you wrote down.

Don't worry about going over the max BMF height - 8'11". Hopefully that gets you close enough.

Now, if you sync with MFP, need to correct that height also.
    Just use MFP tool - Apps - BMR Calc, and try the same height just in case it matches, but adjust as needed.

Now you can adjust your MFP stats to whatever height makes the BMR come out the same.

So only suggestion after that is look at some nights for those same lowest of low spots and confirm what it is using for BMR now with cals/min again.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well, that answered question if valid test based on what you were doing, good to know.

So that is interesting that BMF seems to be using an adjusted BMR so much higher than Harris BMR which they start with. Might confirm the stats on their site match what you used in spreadsheet. Otherwise looks like an increase of 1.09 over Harris BMR to get to what they are using.

So using the spreadsheet first to confirm the BMR based on tested RMR.
    TDEE Deficit tab, upper right section says My Tested RMR. Put yours in there.
    It shows the Cunningham formula results based on your LBM, sounds like there should be a decent difference.
    It also shows the BMR that would result from your tested RMR. And what the BF% would be to have a LBM burning that RMR.

So write that BMR down, that's what you need to get up to.
    Now go here for BMR tool.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

Enter in stats except for BF%. There's the Harris BMR. Just keep increasing the height until the BMR matches what you wrote down.

Don't worry about going over the max BMF height - 8'11". Hopefully that gets you close enough.

Now, if you sync with MFP, need to correct that height also.
    Just use MFP tool - Apps - BMR Calc, and try the same height just in case it matches, but adjust as needed.

Now you can adjust your MFP stats to whatever height makes the BMR come out the same.

So only suggestion after that is look at some nights for those same lowest of low spots and confirm what it is using for BMR now with cals/min again.

I will do all of that as soon as I get home from work. I can't say thank you enough. I wouldn't have ever figured that out on my own. You are wonderful. :flowerforyou:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    no worries, so glad that you are getting the help you need, heybales is the greatest!!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I actually only use MFP to log my food and calculate my macros... I do my own thing with regard to what my calories and goals are. I'm hoping that since I don't have any medical issues and don't seem to have a hard time losing or gaining weight that the BMF will just give me a more accurate baseline. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust the calculators online! :)

Just so you have accurate perception of what BMF will be doing.

Their FAQ shares the fact they start with the same foundation as the online calc's - BMR. Specifically Harris BMR, which shows bad inflation when overweight, may be correct enough though.

So the BMR is tweaked slightly after several nights and they estimate a difference compared to heat released (since BMR is heat), and have a base calories per min.
    So basically BMR, and calculated from that RMR, is used for sleeping time, and non-moving time, and slow moving time. Then actual steps are used with your weight to calculate those calories.

So it really depends if your BMR happens to be close to the Harris BMR they use, because for probably 66% of the time, that is the basis for calorie burn, if sedentary desk job.
    Moving around is much more accurate since calc's based on weight and pace are usually better than HRM's even.

Yep, I'm aware of how they work. :) Thank you for taking time to post and to help everyone else out though!
  • karaks
    Options
    I just wanted to post an update since heybales helped me so much and because I'm so excited over the results I'm getting so far. (bellamarie2181, I hope you don't mind that I'm posting this in your thread! :flowerforyou: )

I made the adjustments to my BMF settings that heybales recommended and all I can say is WOW! I know it's only been a few days, but I swear it's like I'm changing a little every day. Now, mind you, I haven't taken measurements for this month or weighed myself, but when I woke up this morning, I just felt like I was a little smaller. I've been feeling that way a lot recently and it's awesome.

Anyway, I was out earlier today and ran into a friend that I see pretty regularly. She knows what I normally look like and also the problems I've had losing weight. Out of the blue, in the middle of a different conversation, she asked if I'd lost weight and said she could really tell that whatever I was doing was working. I'm LOVING this. :smile:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That is so great!! I have been feeling like that too, I just feel lighter somehow, not sure if I really am, but feel that way! haha Going to start my workout schedule this week so hoping it will just give me more of a boost!!

Can wait to see how this works for you hun, I am here cheering you on!!
  • karaks
    Options
    That is so great!! I have been feeling like that too, I just feel lighter somehow, not sure if I really am, but feel that way! haha Going to start my workout schedule this week so hoping it will just give me more of a boost!!

Can wait to see how this works for you hun, I am here cheering you on!!

Thanks! Good luck with your workout schedule! I bet it will give you a great boost!! It's so nice to kind of have an idea of what I'm doing now and why it wasn't working before. And to have awesome people on here, like you and everyone in this thread, to give advice and support. :drinker: