Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Scale accuracy

fromline
fromline Posts: 4
I joined about a week ago indicating my goal was to lose five pounds in 20 weeks (1/4 pound per week) or within six months.

This started when I stepped on my dad's scale and it said I was 140-141.

A week later, I took a shower at a guest's house, and their scale said I was 140.

Earlier this week, I went to the gym which had one of those scales where you move the weights (which I hear are more accurate). It as zero'd at the beginning, and I measure at 135!

So, I don't know which scale to beleive.

I'm not sure I want to edit my last latest weight at 135 because that would show I've reached my goal in less than a week and it's uncertain if the 140 is even accurate.

What's a good way to get an accurate weight reading?

Replies

• KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    The best thing is to weigh on the same scale at the same time of day each time. Each scale varies a little, so if you weigh on a different scale each time, it probably won't be too accurate. Pick one and stick with it for best results.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    I weigh myslef on my home scale which I do not trust. I have the ability to wiegh myself on work scale ( @ hospital) but not always the same time nor day. I was driving myself nuts. I now stay away from the scales, much more so than before. My clothes are geting lose. Loose clothing feels soooo much better than how I felt 'cussign' at numbers on a scale. hang in there, trust th eprogram, and you will see ( & feel!!!) results!!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Yep, you gotta weigh yourself on the same scale in the same location at the same time wearing (or not wearing) the same clothes for the most accurate readings. Even then, your body fluids & waste are going to cause your weight to fluctuate (sometimes by a lot - 5 pounds or even more!) day to day.

But, the good news is, although it seems like a big deal right now, it doesn't really matter which scale is actually accurate. What matters more is tracking your weight loss, right? And finding a weight you're comfortable with. I have had 2 scales since I started here. On one, I started at 255 pounds. On the other, I weighed 270. But I've lost the same amount of weight on both of them. :wink: I recently purchased a new scale and it weighs me exactly the same as the one that weighs me at 15 pounds more. :grumble: :laugh: so I think those 2 are pretty accurate. But, even if I didn't know that, I'd still be happily plodding along on the one that says I weigh 15 pounds less. My goal weight is based on how I look and feel, not on a number on the scale. So, it's going to be the same no matter what a scale says.
  • nevin_brown
    nevin_brown Posts: 8 Member
    Sometimes it is hard to tell if you are getting results if you only look at weight. You might be losing fat, but gaining muscle. so in that instance you can't use weight to determin if you are improving. You may want to considering taking measurments over time and use those. If your waist is smaller in 3 weeks than it is today, you've made progress.

I had a similar situation with my home scale. It was off by 5 pounds, but at the time I didn't know it. When I began my program, I got weighed at the gym on two different scales and they both measured me at close enough to the same weight for me to feel they were more accurate than my scale at home. Since I could not recalibrate my home scale, I replaced it. I took my new scale to the gym and compared my weight on both. Now I have a scale at home that I trust, but I also measure myself periodically to see if I am losing where I want to lose.

Hope that helps.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I agree on weighing yourself on the same scale at the same time every weigh-in.

I read this recently on the forums, but it's a great idea. Put a 5 lb weight (or something you know the exact weight of) on your scale and see how it reads. I always check-in with what my scale says, but I know that it's 0.2 pounds off. Not much in the grand scheme of things...but good to know!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    When you go back to the gym or your friends house or whichever....put a weights on the scale...and see how accurate the scale is in measuring that weight...and you will know know which scale is accurate

Also, if you didnt weigh yourself the same time of day on the home scale and then the gym scale...it could haave thrown your numbers off a bit

Try and pick a specific day and time to weigh yourself...to ensure your results are more accurate
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Hmm...well cool, I decided to try the suggestion of putting weights on the scale to see if my scale was accurate since it was brought up. I put a 3lb weight on it then both 3 lbs weights (its all I have at home) and it was right on the money. I wonder if higher weights throw scales off or if it will still be as accurate with large amounts of weights. The reason I ask is because I know when I was pregnant and weighed myself at the doctors office I was always 10 or 11lbs heavier there.
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Thanks for the tip of putting a hand weight on the scale!

I just did it, and discovered our scale is 1 pound heavy, with both 6 and 12 pounds of weight.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, this does not matter one tiny bit.

But how nice to be able, now, to subtract a pound every morning when I weigh in!

And, by this calculation of minus one pound....I've reached my goal I set in January. Hurrah!

But you know what? It'll feel so much better to see the number, legit, on the scale.
    So maybe I'll give myself 2 victories for all this hard work -- the "faux" goal reached and the real goal reached.
    And then I'm going to increase my calories to at least 1400. I'm sick of being hungry!
This discussion has been closed.