Best trail running shoes

Mom2Emery_Liam
Mom2Emery_Liam Posts: 149
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I'm needing some new shoes for walking and eventually running. Our neighborhood has a rocky walking trail so I need shoes that will grip and keep me stable on uneven ground. Any specific brand that you like best?

I also have flat feet and a narrow heel. My current shoes are sketchers and I've realized they aren't for serious workouts. They don't lace (elastic "laces") and my foot slides back and forth almost creating rug burn on the bottom...sucks and hurts after walking for an hour.

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I love my Tevas! That's all I've worn for trail running and hiking. They are a little pricy but worth it.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    I'm a Brooks fan 110% and my husband feels the same about Asics. I wear the Brooks Adrenaline, for trails and treadmill. I even use them for hiking if I don't feel like wearing my boots. They have good support, and handle the trails well. :flowerforyou:

PS. If you're ordering online, some of the better shoe companies will have a "shoe finder" that will help you pick the best style for your foot. Otherwise, if possible it would be better to go into an athletic shoe store locally, they should be trained to help you find exactly the right fit. They should watch you walk, watch your foot placement, etc etc... It's worth it to get something that feels great and holds up.

Good luck!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I have both a pair of brooks and new balance trail running shoes... I like the brooks better but the new balances are nice and they are yellow so they look good at least! I suggest going to a running specialty store or maybe an REI so that you can try on different kinds and they can help you especially since you said you have flat feet the running specialty store would be your best bet... good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Aasics all the WAY! I have wide feet, so their shoes are the most comfy to me....I'm even large in the heel so men's sizes fit better...I'm a freak, but they are a great all around shoe for hiking, biking, walking, running, and all that's in between!
  • I have both a pair of brooks and new balance trail running shoes... I like the brooks better but the new balances are nice and they are yellow so they look good at least! I suggest going to a running specialty store or maybe an REI so that you can try on different kinds and they can help you especially since you said you have flat feet the running specialty store would be your best bet... good luck!

~Leash :heart:
    I wish we had an REI...unfortunately none to be found in Oklahoma. I'll have to hit up Academy and Sun and Ski to see what fits nicely. Thanks!

*Edit* Ooo there's one in Dallas! May have to hit it up next trip down there! Lol
  • I have super flat feet and a narrow heels, just like you.:angry: I have been looking for good running shoes forever ( i suffer from shin splints ) :ohwell: and I finally found New Balance Stability. They are an orange and white shoe and they say stability on the insole. They help keep my feet from sliding all over and they do well on gravel trails as well. :happy:
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    The shoe that that I have found that has the best protection as well as flexibility and grip is the Montrail Vitesse. I trained over several thousand miles and ran the Arkansas Traveller 100 in them.

Edited to add: They don't grip well on algae covered rocks like you often find in streams. Also the tongue is fully stiched to keep rock and debris out of the shoe.
  • daisytrekker
    daisytrekker Posts: 8 Member
    I prefer Merrell's for their grip and durability!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I suggest going to a running store and getting fitted. I don't trail run, but I got fitted for road running sneakers and I love my Mizunos. Best sneakers I've ever run in!
This discussion has been closed.