Vitamins

Options
Besides a multivitamin, are there any other vitamins/supplements that you recommend taking?

Replies

• donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I take a daily probiotic to keep things erm, moving.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I do a fish oil supplement. Omega-3s have TONS of health benefits. Of course it's better to get it naturally from fatty fish (there's a few other sources but fatty fish is by far the best), but with a husband who hates fish and not a lot of time to make TWO meals after work with 2 toddlers under my feet, my opportunities to eat it are limited.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    zinc, b-100 complex and vitamin c.

zinc is lacking in most diets and is required for hormone function and the making of enzymes.

b-100 complex covers the b vitamins which are lost due to stress and they are water soluble so they aren't stored in the body so they should be replaced every few days at the maximum.

vitamin c for clear skin and a good immune system. I still take extra even if I eat a lot of foods with it. It's also water soluble and won't be stored in the body.

beta-carotene is the precursor to vitamin a. I just eat a lot of foods with beta-carotene. carrots, kale, spinach, mangoes etc.

vitamin d is important if you don't get much sunlight.

vitamin e helps thin the blood, keeps the heart healthy and counters vitamin k.

vitamin k allows the blood to clot and obviously counters e. I usually just eat spinach and other foods to get this
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

zinc is lacking in most diets and is required for hormone function and the making of enzymes.

b-100 complex covers the b vitamins which are lost due to stress and they are water soluble so they aren't stored in the body so they should be replaced every few days at the maximum.

vitamin c for clear skin and a good immune system. I still take extra even if I eat a lot of foods with it. It's also water soluble and won't be stored in the body.

beta-carotene is the precursor to vitamin a. I just eat a lot of foods with beta-carotene. carrots, kale, spinach, mangoes etc.

vitamin k allows the blood to clot and obviously counters e. I usually just eat spinach and other foods to get this

Wow, do you take all of these separately or in one big multivitamin?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Make sure your multivitamin contains folic acid. If not, consider adding a folic acid/folate supplement, especially if you could become pregnant. It's most important before you know you're pregnant!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Besides a multivitamin, are there any other vitamins/supplements that you recommend taking?

Fish oil, Vit D, calcium - all else you can get from food on a balanced diet even without a multi-vitamin.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I take an Animal Pak every day, that pretty much covers any gaps I might have in my diet.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options

wow! great list!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Far too often we over suppliement. A balanced diet should give you almost everything you need in a day. Most people do not need a multi vitamin. A small amount of fruits and veggies gives you daily required nutrients.

The only vitamins I take are a daily B50 vitamin and a probiotic. I lack B vitamins which is the reason why I suppliement. I only take a multi if at the end of the day I am lacking in something which if I have paid attention to what I'm eating I don't need one. If I am out of flax seed I take a flaxseed suppliement.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

Wow, do you take all of these separately or in one big multivitamin?

I actually take them separately so I can get the correct amounts.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Far too often we over suppliement. A balanced diet should give you almost everything you need in a day. Most people do not need a multi vitamin. A small amount of fruits and veggies gives you daily required nutrients.

The only vitamins I take are a daily B50 vitamin and a probiotic. I lack B vitamins which is the reason why I suppliement. I only take a multi if at the end of the day I am lacking in something which if I have paid attention to what I'm eating I don't need one. If I am out of flax seed I take a flaxseed suppliement.
    I believe most people don't supplement enough of the right nutrients like vitamins and minerals and instead take some extracts of whole foods they could be eating.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

wow! great list!
    I tried to keep it small!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I believe most people don't supplement enough of the right nutrients like vitamins and minerals and instead take some extracts of whole foods they could be eating.

I would much rather get vitamins and minerals from real food as opposed to a pill version.
  • TheDevastator
    Options

I would much rather get vitamins and minerals from real food as opposed to a pill version.
    So do I, but I make sure with pills. Vitamins are cheap enough to do so.
  • WezieWorl
    WezieWorl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say check with your doctor. You don't want to overdo it. You can OD on supplements. For me, my doctor recommends 1000 units of vitamin d and calcium. There is new findings out that too much is not a good thing. Too much vitamin C is bad for those who get kidney stones. Another study finds that too much calcium can shorten the life expectancy of males. I don't want to be a buzz kill. Just please check; you may be getting a lot of what you need from your diet. Do your research. Check out WebMD, Mayo Clinic, and other similar sites.