calling all MIXED people... one drop rule?

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    No... why would I consider myself black. What about my other half? I consider myself mixed. I was raised around my Polish/Ukrainian side and stood out like a sore thumb. In a family where I appearance is everything. Honestly, people would always tell me I'm white washed and that I sound like a typical white girl. Well, considering I am half "white" I never took offence to this... people are stupid
    There are a few times people just assume I'm black but most of the time people don't know what the heck I am. When/if they ask I just say Canadian. I'm not ashamed of my background but it's rude and none of their damn business.

I am attracted to men who look like me.... (ie mixed and some black men) I am attracted to that because deep down I think that's what I feel most comfortable around. I am all for dating men outside of my race (whatever that means) ... as long as there are no problems...

ARE YOU ME?? Different Slavic background, but still. I wish the "I'm Canadian" reply would shut people up.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My son asked me, mommy you are black and daddy is white. What am I? I said you are perfect because you are both black and white and wonderful. My kids are my kids and I really hope they don't spend time worrying about what they are. Because no one who knows or love them does.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to come in hear and keep my big mouth shut is what I'm going to do.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have never liked the "one-drop" rule. It is kinda silly if you ask me. For instance, how the heck is Barack Obama considered "black", when he is half-white, was raised by his white folks, and only met his black father once in his life? In a larger context though, I just don't know why we have to "classify" people like that anyway. Hopefully those classifications fade with time. It has for some (ie: Italians), but not others (ie: blacks). Time will tell.

^ I LOVE this! I hate labels!!!

My daughter is mixed. I am full south american & my hubby is full black. We joke around and say she's a blaxiombian LOL :wink:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The one drop rule was a tool of oppression. I think you should identify as you choose. I consider myself black although through DNA test discovered I'm 30 percent Scandinavian and 5 percent Native American. I often wonder what my son will consider himself as his dad is Scottish and English.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    half Italian + half Mexican = FULL Awesome
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The one drop rule is bull.

If you think the one drop rule is true, then please stop calling yourself "Homo sapiens" and start calling yourself "Homo neanderthalensis" instead.

We're not even pure as a species, never mind so called "racial purity". Most of the world's population has 1-4% neanderthal DNA. If just one drop of blood from a minority group, makes you a member of that minority and not the majority group..... then most of us are Homo neanderthalensis.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If we go off of the one drop "rule," then I'm African American. No, really, I am. But do I identify myself as African American on the census or any other legal docs? Pft, no. For legal reasons, I'm Caucasian, through and through.

That being said, do I give a rat's *kitten* what race I am? No. It's fun to dive into my family heritage and see where I'm from, but my race plays no part of who I am. I am me, and I'd still be me regardless of my race.

What a silly thing to ask in 2013. I'm not surprised, though.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish, German, Spanish, and Aztec.

Theoretically, you shouldn't make me mad or I could cut out your heart and feed it to Caribbean prisoners in my work camp who survive on the remnants of my whiskey and potatoes.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It means even if you just have one drop of African blood, you're considered black.

Then technically we are all black! Evolution FTW!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Race continues to matter because people continue to see it as a worthwhile topic.

It is a learned behavior, but something likely stemming from all human beings need to differentiate themselves from one another. It's unfortunate, but if the topic weren't "race" it would be religion, nationality, or something else.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If we go off of the one drop "rule," then I'm African American. No, really, I am. But do I identify myself as African American on the census or any other legal docs? Pft, no. For legal reasons, I'm Caucasian, through and through.

That being said, do I give a rat's *kitten* what race I am? No. It's fun to dive into my family heritage and see where I'm from, but my race plays no part of who I am. I am me, and I'd still be me regardless of my race.

What a silly thing to ask in 2013. I'm not surprised, though.

According to the one drop rule, my kids (including my very pale ginger kid) are African-American Cherokee Jews. And we're all also Homo neanderthalensis, not Homo sapiens.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm Puerto Rican. I don't speak spanish, and I don't look all that Hispanic.

Honestly, if race wasn't such a big federal issue it wouldn't be on so many government forms.
    I have been known to check the Hispanic box if I think it will help me.

Otherwise, I look for a "human being" or "American citizen" box. hahaha
    Race/skin color doesn't matter to me.
    Someone asked me once what nationality I was. hahaha I looked at him and said "American. duh." I knew he was asking what my heritage was. People always say it wrong. The whitest guy I had ever seen said everyone says he's white. :huh: He said he was Scottish. I was like, so what, you're red? wtf....

To hell with stupid classifications.
    I'm telling everyone I'm purple and bleed polka-dots.
    People are people.

^ LIKE!
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Theoretically, you shouldn't make me mad or I could cut out your heart and feed it to Caribbean prisoners in my work camp who survive on the remnants of my whiskey and potatoes.

tumblr_lm10a8wiRL1qafrh6.gif

tumblr_m3dd55d9P41r5zj3g.gif
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

*snort
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I predict that this will end well.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Everyone is mixed if you look at it in a certain way.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It means even if you just have one drop of African blood, you're considered black.

Then technically we are all black! Evolution FTW!
    Supposedly Mike Judge's brilliant satire Idiocracy originally had everyone a shade of brown, but the movie producers didn't like that.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My son asked me, mommy you are black and daddy is white. What am I? I said you are perfect because you are both black and white and wonderful. My kids are my kids and I really hope they don't spend time worrying about what they are. Because no one who knows or love them does.

What a wonderful answer!!! My nieces and nephews are all bi-racial (legally) but to me they are just my nieces and nephews....wouldn't have them any other way...they are who they are!!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Half Irish, Half German, all alcoholic.