Very simple, but very effective calf exercise

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'll be the first to admit, I was never big on working out my calf muscles. I figured with all the step, biking and running I did, why the heck bother? Then came competition day, I placed second and was told because I had undefined calf muscles. Now I thought they looked just dandy, but I was wrong, I never did weight work for that area. My calves are still an area I don't like working, but I superset them and just bang them out. You do not need to superset this you can rest between each foot postiong if that's what you want to do. When you're doing your leg days, you should end your workout with calves. I use a heavy barbell on my shoulders and with feet shoulder width apart go up onto your toes hold the position for a 2 sec static hold, the back down, do 12 reps, immediately change the position of your feet so that you're standing like a duck, toes pointed out to the side, again up on the toes and count for a 2sec static hold, release and do 12 reps, now we change our positioning again so that our toes are pointing inward, pigeon toed, again up on the toes and release, counting a 2 sec static hold at the top of the movement, 12 reps, rest...repeat 3x's, you can absolutely do this with no weight, all body resistance.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I do this almost every day in the shower.... probably the reason my calves are the ONLY defined muscle on my body :laugh:
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    great exercise. However if you have bad knees be careful how far you point your toes in and out.
  • imagymrat
    I do this almost every day in the shower.... probably the reason my calves are the ONLY defined muscle on my body :laugh:

Great idea actually, I find myself walking my little ones in their stroller and trying to go for 2 minutes walking on my toes and repeating it, interval style, my calves have grown somuch,it doens't take much to see results. And I agree with the other poster, know your limitations and modify the exercises to suit your needs,
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Thanks again for the very informative post!!! Question bout yesterday's post.....bicep curls that you do as drop sets....do you start with start with two - 20 lb dumb bells to equal the 40lbs? Don't think I could lift more than that!
  • imagymrat
    Thanks again for the very informative post!!! Question bout yesterday's post.....bicep curls that you do as drop sets....do you start with start with two - 20 lb dumb bells to equal the 40lbs? Don't think I could lift more than that!

You would use weight that challenges you, if that's two 20lb dumbbells then that's what you would use, if you can tolerate a heavier weight, then definitely challenge yourself, it's the only way you'll see muscle development. I use 2, 40lb dumbbells, but i've been doing this forever and have relatively strong biceps.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    WOW, impressive!!! Thank you....love your strength training posts!!!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Thanks for the exercise! I'm a Irish dancer so my calf muscles are pretty defined...but I'm always aiming for them to be stronger so I don't get injured. I'm the crazy person you see in the mall walking around on her toes for fun :)
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771

dont you have trouble getting the barbell in the shower with you?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    So this is like plie releve and the chair pose squat on your toes in yoga?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

dont you have trouble getting the barbell in the shower with you?
    Leave it to you Matty, you crack me up!:laugh:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    I've been doing calf raises, with two dumb bells, but what I found was also a good burn was two exercises in P90x
    One - doing lunges but staying on your toes, I guess you could add weight to make it even tougher.
    two - hot feet, hopping on one foot for 30 secs., and you could add weight.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Great idea actually, I find myself walking my little ones in their stroller and trying to go for 2 minutes walking on my toes and repeating it, interval style, my calves have grown somuch,it doens't take much to see results. And I agree with the other poster, know your limitations and modify the exercises to suit your needs,
    [/quote]

Im going to give this a try tomorrow when i walk my little boy in his pram! great idea!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Sorry double posting for some reason!!
This discussion has been closed.