News Feeds Posts

J12Snyder
J12Snyder Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
I want to know how you all have your news feeds set, because I'm fining that mine seems really ineffective. Meaning, I think it is great when you all complete your logs, yadda yadda, but I don't need to know that. I am not trying to be a jerk. What I am trying to suggest is that I would like the news feed to be of more meaning, like I want to know when you post something on the boards, or lose/gain, or update your status... That way, I know how to respond and support you. When your feed just has a serious of "xyz updated their food blog" or whatever, it seems like you have to sift through a lot of crap before you find the one from a friend that says "I'm losing my *kitten*;, "I need a friend", "my boyfriend just dumped me and I need support"; or something else along similar lines.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

Replies

• Please don't take that last post the wrong way. I am very happy for those of you who complete your food or exercise blogs, etc., etc., etc, Its just that in order for me not to see that, I have to "Hide" you completely from my feed. I don't want to do that, because what happens then when you really need my support??? If you update your status (like a friend of mine did) to 'burded 500 calories doing "lawn mowing, general", I will probably laugh and send you a way to go! It's a more meaningful post that "so-and-so completed their blah blah blah".

Maybe I'm an *kitten*. You can say it. It's just how I'm feeling.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    I don't think you're an *kitten*, but it is funny how different people look for different things! I am much more willing to see that someone completed thier journal and were under calories than how many calories someone burned doing kung pow or p94fm...lol! I guess that's why they say different strokes for different folks! :bigsmile::laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Unfortunately, I'm a newbie, so I don't know how to customize the news feed, but I didn't read anything bad in your first post. I thought, "Hey, that sounds good." Hope someone out there has an answer.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Everyone can customize their newsfeed to show everything or nothing or anything in between. But it's up to each of us to decide what we want to reveal or not reveal on our newsfeeds. I used to share more but decided it got clutterly so changed my settings down, I think only 1 checked box but that effects only MY input on my newsfeed.

If you'd like to change yours just go to 'my home, settings, newsfeed' and click or unclick boxes' that you'd like to share.

I think you're free to share what you think but I also agree with kgasser this being a VERY large board now with new members coming in everyday all day long, there will be ppl that want all sorts of various things and some love to read everything about someone's recent activity, others may not.

I found the simpliest solution to that for me is keeping my friend quanity down to a very manageable limit so I actually can get to know them and comment on what they share and it can feel like a group of close friends supporting one another. Some like to go the facebook route and collect many many friends 300 hundred or so (250 is the limit on MFP and then your newsfeed won't work, it's a bug they are working on) but I couldn't manage that many friends in the short time I have to jump over and make comments on my newsfeed.

Lots of options since we're all differernt I guess:flowerforyou:
    Becca:heart:
This discussion has been closed.