Spinning

Options
Ive been a member of a local gym for 3 years. I usually do the eliptical and arc training machines along with weights to stay toned. I have hit a wall with my weight loss and also with my motivation. I needed something different so I started spinning class. They seem fun so far, but are they as effective as using the eliptical or other machines at the gym? I feel like im just working my legs, does spinning actually help you tone your whole body?

Replies

• Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Interested to know this too!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i imagine spinning is just mainly ur legs perhaps with some core work depending on your posture? cant imagine it does much for ur arms though.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I find this question interesting because I am dripping head to toe when I come out of spin classes, not so much when I do the elliptical. It's obviously a leg workout, but my instructors find ways to incorporate the whole body into it. I don't expect to come out of a spin class with my arms hurting though. It's an excellent cardio workout and strength training for the legs if you had the resistance high enough.

I can't speak for your class, but I would never compare doing the elliptical to a spin class. You work so many more muscles by jumps, putting your hips over difference parts of the bike, etc.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    It's a great cardio workout, no doubt. I burn 850-950 cals an hour and I take 5 spin classes a week, one of them a 2 hour class. I'm also dripping in sweat and can even sometimes ring my shirt of sweat. That does not happen on the typical cardio machines. LIke it has been said, it's mainly for the legs. My legs have gotten so strong. But you can get some other muscles involved. It depends on the instructor and spin class. Some work the core pretty hard, some do pushups and some use light weights also. YOu should do some weight training anyway, but spinning is a very effective cardio workout.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    The spin class I used to attend also provided a decent glute workout and some arms, but it really was a workout!!!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    it depends on the teacher. the majority of spinning works the lower body but if you stand up and mimic pushups (which some instructors tell you) while pedaling that indirectly works your core and upper body (arms).. not a lot but more than just sitting there pedaling.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Every time I spin mostly in circles I get really dizzy go flying sideways and crash land. Its kind of like being really drunk. lol :drinker: