motivated, not disciplined.

Options
My biggest downfall is i'm not disciplined enough to not drink that soda, or don't use extra ranch. i need a lot of motivation and support!

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hi Paige! (Pretty name! My daughter's named Paige too!)

You can be motivated all you want, but until you're ready to turn motivation to action, you're not ready yet.

With most people, they have a "defining moment" - something that happens to them where they say to themselves, "I can't do this anymore....something's GOT to change." Mine was when I went to an event at my daughter's school, and I could hardly walk to the door. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath, and once inside the door, I really had to sit down - huffed and puffed my lungs out, everybody had to go around me because I had to sit down in the middle of the hallway because I was so out of breath, out of shape, etc. I was humiliated/embarrassed/etc.

Once you find something that is worth it to you to warrant being uncomfortable (giving up the soda or extra ranch), then you'll do it.
    (And you can definitely do this....when you're really ready)

Added notes: I used to be a Barq's Red Creme Soda -aholic....LOVED IT, and drank lots of it each and every day. Now I limit myself to diet coke or diet dr. pepper only if I go out somewhere for lunch, and sometimes with dinner. And I LOVE Ranch dressing!!! So I definitely know where you're coming from!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Pepper. I was in the habit of drinking a 20 ounce bottle every day up until about 3 months ago, and for the previous 1.5 years before that.

I finally decided enough was enough. I now treat myself to one 1-2 times a week.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat extra ranch or drink soda, do it.

There's no reason you can't enjoy your favorite things within reason; we'd all go crazy if we restricted the things we like all the time.

This isn't something you should beat yourself up about.

If it fits your macros and your calorie goals, no worries.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Perhaps instead of eliminating it at this point, you could try reducing the quantity. If you normally have 2 sodas, drink 1. If you have half a cup of something, try a quarter cup.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Oh just drink your soda for god's sake . . .
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi Paige! (Pretty name! My daughter's named Paige too!)

You can be motivated all you want, but until you're ready to turn motivation to action, you're not ready yet.

With most people, they have a "defining moment" - something that happens to them where they say to themselves, "I can't do this anymore....something's GOT to change." Mine was when I went to an event at my daughter's school, and I could hardly walk to the door. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath, and once inside the door, I really had to sit down - huffed and puffed my lungs out, everybody had to go around me because I had to sit down in the middle of the hallway because I was so out of breath, out of shape, etc. I was humiliated/embarrassed/etc.

Once you find something that is worth it to you to warrant being uncomfortable (giving up the soda or extra ranch), then you'll do it.
    (And you can definitely do this....when you're really ready)

This, exactly.

I've been motivated since I was 16....but never stuck to anything.

I got divorced when I was three months shy of my 26th birthday. I weighed in at 220+. To assist in dealing with depression and the huge change I was undertaking, I began walking. Then I started watching how much of anything I ate.

Eventually, I came back to MFP at about 210 and having just turned 27. I dropped 35 pounds by the summer of 2012 and was feeling sassy. I was dating again, I was going to bbqs and parties and concerts, I was excercising and feeling fab!!

Then I got complacent. I lost sight of my goal. And I gained 20+ pounds back, slowly but surely.

Now I'm back and ready to not only meet my goal, but keep building new ones.

Set specific goals for yourself. Weekly and monthly goals, weight based and food based. Reward yourself for meeting your goals. Start small and build up to the big ones, each with specific rewards.

You'll get there, you just have to keep refining and refocusing until you find your groove. And giving up everything doesn't have to be your groove. We all have unique needs and things that will keep us going.

Stay strong :flowerforyou:
  • emriche
    emriche Posts: 2
    Options
    http://www.termlifeinsurance.org/harmful-soda/

I read this and put my soda (diet too) away for good. Been 2 weeks off the fizzy stuff. Don't even miss it now.

Ranch should be called "fat sauce." I love it too. Love. But I decided losing weight is more important to me than Ranch dressing. Its loaded with fat and calories.Just say no
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I used to say I was motivated and not disciplined too.. and I blamed a lot of things on the lack of discipline. ADD, I'm a party girl, I have big bones, I don't want to get bulky, dieting is hard...

Once I stopped lying to myself, and decided to spend some time on MFP learning about fitness and nutrition, I got much better about my dedication. I may not be losing fast, but I'm reaching goals and maintaining fairly consistent good habits. Eventually I'm going to be fit, healthy, and in an appropriate weight range. But, it's all on me, and my discipline, and there's no magic formula to it - just get out there and get to it, or you're never gonna make it.
  • tarriharris5
    tarriharris5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    image_zpsaef6dbda.jpg