Protien powder....help?

Options
Hello, I am thinking of starting this regularly??

some help is uber welcomed. I have gone from 180-190ish to 126lbs. I still have "Mummy belly and am not wanting to put on weight.

Is Protein powder a good daily idea? say morning supp with water.

I work out 7 days a week - my diary is open (be nice lol)

Replies

• nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I literally just went to a symposium on this last week (I'm an Athletic Trainer)! Whey Protein is the best for supplementing. If you're trying to lose weight you want to reduce your carbs and your fats but maintain protein. A good way of knowing how much protein you need is by this model: .8-1.2 grams of protein per body pound, at least 30g of protein spaced out 3-4 times a day. You want it to be evenly spaced so that your body doesn't start taking from your muscle supply. You want 10g as an energy boost before a work out and 20g post work out to help get rid of soreness and facilitate muscle rebuild. The best sources of protein are beef, chicken and whey/dairy. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please ask!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Most of what's in the above post is incorrect. Timing of consumption of any type of food has no effect on metabolism. The oft-quoted axiom that one must eat protein within a certain time frame of a workout is also incorrect - there is weak evidence that timing of carbohydrate consumption within a fixed window improves gylcogen restoration, but the effect of protein ingestion is pretty muddy. Protein consumption will make very little difference to your muscle soreness. The goal of '0.8-1.2 g per lb' is more correctly given as 'lbs of lean body mass', which for most people is a lot less than their total weight.

Typical western diets are grossly oversupplied with protein as it is. For anyone attempting to lost weight protein supplements are generally an unneeded supply of excess calories. They are also expensive - whey protein is basically powdered skim milk. You could just have a glass of skim milk as part of your regular diet and meet your protein needs easily.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It's true that protein takes time to get into your system, so trying to time it around workouts is mostly hype.

Ricotta cheese is almost pure whey; I like it on toast.