Pay for group fitness instructors?

Options
I'm looking into becoming a group fitness instructor. However, I live in DC, so the pay that I hear around here is extremely more than I'm sure outside of DC. I'm looking to move, so this will be helpful.

How much do you get paid, (if you own a gym) pay someone, someone you know get paid or instructors at the gym you go to get paid per class?

Specifically specialty classes that require certification like Zumba, Pound, Step, Yoga? How much for a non-specialty class like a kickboxing or spin class paid?

THANKS!

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I know my spin instructor gets paid like $20 sum per spin class. She also receives free membership at the gym so she is also compensated that way as well. She teaches 3-4 times a week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it depends on what city you're in but it's not very much. The people here in LA get like $25 or something per class.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It usually depends on the city, the gym (private versus chain), years of experience, # of different types of class you can teach (hold certifications in), your certification, and (after a while) your popularity. Everywhere I ever taught the gym membership was included and I think at my peak I got about $28 per class (this was about 5 years ago).
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Specifically specialty classes that require certification like Zumba, Pound, Step, Yoga? How much for a non-specialty class like a kickboxing or spin class paid?

THANKS!

Actually all of these classes require certification. Which means you have to fork out money for the certification training (usually run $100-$200). Plus you would most likely need to be certified by a national fitness organization (like AFAA). Plus you would more than likely need CPR certification (sometimes gyms offer them for free to employees). Fitness instructors are certified similar to personal trainers - you have to have a good basic knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etc. Plus you may want to look into being trained on the other important stuff - musicality, how to cue, how to format a class, etc.

I think the bar has been lowered some (not positive, just my impression) since when I first started teaching, but to be a good instructor, I think it's important to have all of the things mentioned under your belt.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions. I taught up in VA and NY, and spent a lot of time in Nova working with my fitness coaches (who are based out of Bethesda).