Salad Dressing

Options
I am just starting out and looking for some low calorie foods, so I head on up to Walmart. I pick out some carrots and get some salad, but I keep thinking of all the calories salad dressing has. 200 calories for 2 tbsp? That's a little crazy. I am one of those people that have to have dressing on their salad. I found Walden Farms Creamy Bacon 0 calorie salad dressing! The best part is, it's good!!! It doesn't taste like a low calorie dressing. It tastes similar to Hidden Valley Bacon Ranch!

Replies

• Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    walden farms make a lot of "0 calorie" condiments. the salad dressing is the only stuff theirs that i think actually tastes good.

be aware though, that their products aren't calorie free. in the US the FDA has made it so that any product with less than five calories can be marketed as 0 cals. if you look at their website for of countries you'll see that they list calories and label their products differently. in comparison, 5 cals is way better than 200. i just thought i'd let you know though.
  • gurlondrums
    gurlondrums Posts: 187
    Options
    Wishbone makes a Salad Spritzers line. I'm addicted to ranch dressing, but not the calories. And it's 2 calories per spray! Good luck with finding a good dressing! =)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    We make Hidden Valley Ranch mix with skim milk and either low fat or fat free mayo. I LOVE how it tastes (it's a little thin, but who cares?) Sometimes hubs mixes in low fat sour cream for thickness. That satisfies my ranch cravings and is healthy. Just another thought ... :smile:
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Something to consider that tastes quite good is fresh lime juice and mustard. It does have calories but limes are pretty healthy!
  • red3367
    red3367 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll take 5 calories over 200 any day.

It's crap that they are allowed to say that it has 0 calories when it doesn't. They should just say it has less than 5 grams.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I've seen tons of labels where I am that are completely false. Sometimes it is so obvious it isn't funny like it will say 5g protein, 10g carbs (0 fiber), 3 g fat and then the calories will be 20 when it should be closer to 90. In fact the other day for the first time (since spending most of my time in Peru) I saw plain normal yogurt (usually the only stuff here is the drinkable yogurt). The first ingredient was whole milk but the fat count was .6g per serving. There is no way that is accurate unless I'm missing something in the yogurt making process.