Anyone NOT like the New Rules of Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    i also found that the time you needed to complete the stages greatly increased because there would be lots of equipment/space you'd need. that's fine if you're working out at home but it can get annoying in a gym since you're essentially alternating equipment and might have to wait while someone finishes their sets after you lost the space because you had to jump to a different area.

I agree with this also!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about it, aside from the 2 minute planks, because I hate staying still that long, is that it takes over an hour on the days that include the 15 minute intervals and body weight matrix. I've been using dumbbells, a step and stability ball at home, and finding substitutions on youtube for the moves I don't have the equipment for. I just started stage 5. I also follow their group on Facebook, where Alwyn Cosgrove sticks his head in from time to time, and read that the Supercharged book is better because it has more up-to-date information.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference....
    I was towards the end of stage 1 and ended up with a severe case of tennis elbow so had to stop...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I liked it and did it for about a month. The problem was the I obviously did something wrong because I hurt my lower back. So, my advice would be to be careful and make sure to not overexert yourself.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    what i dont like about it is that the moves gets entirely too busy that it no longer becomes a strength training program. I find it very frustrating and a bit ridiculous that something like my balance or ankle stability can make me stall on increasing weights on DB rows :laugh:

I do agree with this. It frustrates me to no end when I start losing my balance doing the one-point rows and the one-legged Romanian DL!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about it, aside from the 2 minute planks, because I hate staying still that long, is that it takes over an hour on the days that include the 15 minute intervals and body weight matrix. I've been using dumbbells, a step and stability ball at home, and finding substitutions on youtube for the moves I don't have the equipment for. I just started stage 5. I also follow their group on Facebook, where Alwyn Cosgrove sticks his head in from time to time, and read that the Supercharged book is better because it has more up-to-date information.

I'm on the facebook group also.

Personally, I got all the books out of the library. Read them all, gained all the info and then decided which one I wanted to do (this was before they came out with the Supercharged book).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it after phase two, I thought it started incorporating too many ancillary exercises that seemed random... like the exercise ball pikes... maybe it was just that I couldn't do it. :wink:

Plus I had a knee injury and couldn't do some of the lifts -- like the split squats.

Yeah, I love the pikes! But, I agree that I switched away from the women's book and started the Life book because of my knees as well. They say very clearly that the program is not intended for people that have pre-existing conditions. I agreed with that and started the Life book, and am much happier with it.
    The Newest NROL book that is out right now is The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. So, if you are new to the NROL series, this seems like a good one to start with. I haven't read it, but it seems to be a reprint of the very first NROL book, but now geared towards men and women (like maybe they have photos of men and women instead of just one or the other), and they can incorporate the new things they learned and changed their mind about. It seems like each NROL book has new things in it, in which they say that in their last book they recommended something they no longer recommend now, or they learned something that they didn't know then. Perhaps they just say that to sell new books, though. The Life book that I am using was their most recent new book, before they did this reprint of the first book and called it Supercharged.
    thanks for sharing that, I'd never heard of "The Life Book", I'll have to look for it.

EDIT Oh, thanks for sharing the website info as well!
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great opinions and reviews !! I have been working with a trainer but at some point it's just me, myself and I. Coincidentally enough, I reserved most of these books at the library today before I even saw the post. I would like to go through them and find something that fits what is close to my goals and abilities before I purchase them for myself. :smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    what i dont like about it is that the moves gets entirely too busy that it no longer becomes a strength training program. I find it very frustrating and a bit ridiculous that something like my balance or ankle stability can make me stall on increasing weights on DB rows :laugh:

I do agree with this. It frustrates me to no end when I start losing my balance doing the one-point rows and the one-legged Romanian DL!

There are benefits to working on balance, but I didn't really need to do that because I already dance and do yoga (and that also takes care of core exercises and has "power" moves in the form of jumps).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I didn't like it after phase two, I thought it started incorporating too many ancillary exercises that seemed random... like the exercise ball pikes... maybe it was just that I couldn't do it. :wink:

Plus I had a knee injury and couldn't do some of the lifts -- like the split squats.

Yeah, I love the pikes! But, I agree that I switched away from the women's book and started the Life book because of my knees as well. They say very clearly that the program is not intended for people that have pre-existing conditions. I agreed with that and started the Life book, and am much happier with it.
    thanks for sharing that, I'd never heard of "The Life Book", I'll have to look for it.

If you go to their web site, you can see descriptions of all the books and when they were written.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like it but I find a lot of the exercises a bit footery. You may need an instructor to take you through form at each different stage. For simplicity, starting strength is much better (or strong lifts). I do this with a few of the NR stuff thrown in sometimes.

It is a really good read though so I'd definitely recommend it. Starting strength is also a great read and you get a sneaky peek at the first 3 chapters on amazon just now.

Not very good at computering but this should be the link to the free look at 'starting strength',
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738/ref=dp_ob_image_bk
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

There are benefits to working on balance, but I didn't really need to do that because I already dance and do yoga (and that also takes care of core exercises and has "power" moves in the form of jumps).

I really hadn't had a problem with balance before. I thought maybe it was my shoes. Or it could be that I'm doing it too close to when I'm supposed to be in bed and I'm over-tired. I re-do the move slower when I start to wobble just to make sure I get all the reps in. I should try it wearing my Converse. I've been told it's better to wear flatter shoes. I'll have to stop by my library and see if they have Supercharged there. The idea didn't even cross my mind. Thanks, BP!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I really hadn't had a problem with balance before. I thought maybe it was my shoes. Or it could be that I'm doing it too close to when I'm supposed to be in bed and I'm over-tired. I re-do the move slower when I start to wobble just to make sure I get all the reps in. I should try it wearing my Converse. I've been told it's better to wear flatter shoes. I'll have to stop by my library and see if they have Supercharged there. The idea didn't even cross my mind. Thanks, BP!

You're Welcome!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This was great information. I fall somewhere between intermediate and advanced when it comes to strength training. I've always worked with a personal trainer, off and on as finances dictated. However, I'm looking to head out on my own. I've been reading NROLFW (2008) and I've checked out Strong Lifts online and Jaime Eason on Bodybuilding.com to see where I might be able to put together a program that I'm confident to do solo on the floor. Heck, I even have the old school Body for Life book. I still have a lot of body fat to lose, and I haven't quite gotten a complete handle on my nutrition. (I still love cookies.) So right now my goal is to lose weight and be as toned as possible in the process. I really don't know which program is right for me. I'm sort of OCD and it has to pull together in my head. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the squat rack, but I can handle most of the other equipment and moves. Any suggestions for me would be appreciated.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ do what you like doing.

i'm also well beyond newbie and have quite a bit of fat to loose (i see your cookies and will raise you gummi bears and hot wings :laugh: ) so i'm focusing on compound movements.

i tried to do strong lifts but since it leaves out a lot of the moves i like doing, i just decided to do my own thing. i basically do a mix of SL with olympic lifts as well as isolation work i do for my shoulders because of mobility issues.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to comment because I've not read the book in question, but since others are...

I've read the sample, and I like the basic premise.

I've read New Rules, and I like the majority of what Lou Schuler says.

After the initial training plan (which is excellent that it has beginners start on a nice simple plan) it all falls apart. It's simply not possible to follow in my gym. If you have your own gym, or are a member of a gym so unpopular it practically is your own gym, this will not be an issue.

I was also friends/following Alwyn Cosgrove on facebook for several weeks, but I had to unfriend/unfollow because the stream of nonsense became infuriating.

In conclusion, Lou Schuler good, Alwyn Cosgrove bad.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have the book, but I found it really complicated compared to Stronglifts or Starting Strength, and didn't end up using it for that reason.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's good.
    But the diet plans were practically useless for me, being vegetarian.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Exactly the same thoughts here. Loved the first phase though. It was a good re-intro to weightlifting after a long break for me. I switched to StrongLifts after phase . Never looked back after that.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and read it. Then I decided to do Stronglifts 5x5. Stronglifts is MUCH simpler, and the reason they choose the exercises they do is common sense and the movements are natural. Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong, exactly, with NRL4W, but I wanted something simpler and easier to get into. I love it so far, and its FREE. If you do check it out, join the group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    They have a summary all written up so that you can skip all the over-the-top manliness in the book.

This, except I did do phase 1. I did OK there, but once I got to stage 2, it was just too complicated and I went to Stronglifts.

I prefer it, but lots of women LOVE New Rules.