Anyone tired Shaklee meal replacement shakes?

Options
I am getting back to working out after having my 2nd child and need a good meal replacement shake for when I return to work. I prefer all natural w/ no additives. Someone told me about Shaklee but I am open to any other suggestions/ experiences.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they're much the same as the myriad of other meal replacement shakes on the market. A pointless waste of money. You don't need a meal replacement, you need a meal. You can eat good food for the same number of calories that will provide nutrition, keep you satiated and teach you how to eat properly.
  • 90Aggie
    90Aggie Posts: 2
    Options
    I pulled a Protein shake recipe off of pinterest and swear by it.

1/3 cup of protein mix..whey protein
    2 cups of spinach
    1 cup of oatmeal
    1 banana
    2 tablespoons of healthy peanut butter
    1 cup of skim milk ( I add a little water as well)
    1'2 cup of shaved ice

Blend and drink..it is greatness.. it comes out to a little over 800 calories of healthy eating. You will love it...promise. Ive done Insanity and Insanity Asylum and started P90X yesterday. Again, it is greatness. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Blend and drink..it is greatness.. it comes out to a little over 800 calories of healthy eating. You will love it...promise. Ive done Insanity and Insanity Asylum and started P90X yesterday. Again, it is greatness. Let me know if you have any questions.

800 calories????? That's 3/4 of my daily budget! It better be damned filling!
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Shaklee is pretty pricey for what you get, it's basically a protein powder with vitamins added. If you're looking for something similar Nature's Bounty has a protein mix called Optimal Solutions which is pretty much the same thing for A LOT less and you can pick it up locally.
  • barefootcindymcasey
    Options
    Yes the Shaklee 180 smoothies are very yummy!! My favorite is the Pina Colada Smoothee made with the vanilla mix.
    Recipe here: http://www.barefoot-sun.com/2013/01/yummy-pina-colada-smoothee-recipe.html

Harley Pasternak, trainer to stars such as Halle Berry and Jessica Simpson say's the Shaklee 180 is the "healthy fast food"

Shaklee has a simple 3 for FREE program.. can't beat free!
  • amatye75
    amatye75 Posts: 2
    Options
    The Shaklee 180 Shakes are different then other shakes in that they contain Leucine. It is an amino acid that signals your body to hold on to your lean muscle mass. In conventional dieting you will lose both fat and muscle. In a clinical study 100% of the participants kept nearly all their muscle mass losing ONLY fat. This in turn revs up your metabolism and increases your weight loss. They are about $3 per meal replacement. If you'd like to get more information on the program feel free to friend me on FB. I can invite you to a 1/2 hour webinar explaining exactly how it works. My name is Andrea Matye Whitley.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    even I am loving all these folks with ONE post on the forums... girl, if you can afford it and your primary concern is convenience, then shop around and do your research (thoroughly) because a lot of these products aren't as great as they say they are, and a couple are pretty damn good. that said, it takes about 5 minutes to make a much, much cheaper shake that can sustain you at work. No, you wont get the fancy ingredients from all over the world - which honestly I'm a big fan of - but you don't absolutely need them to lose weight, get in shape and be healthy.

So if you can afford ~$100/month on shakes and want those awesome ingredients then like I said, take a look around at your options, but just a forewarning, all of them are processed to some degree and MOST of the shake products out there do have "unnatural" and synthetic ingredients in them. Only a couple are made of completely natural ingredients.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    The Shaklee 180 Shakes are different then other shakes in that they contain Leucine. It is an amino acid that signals your body to hold on to your lean muscle mass. In conventional dieting you will lose both fat and muscle. In a clinical study 100% of the participants kept nearly all their muscle mass losing ONLY fat. This in turn revs up your metabolism and increases your weight loss. They are about $3 per meal replacement. If you'd like to get more information on the program feel free to friend me on FB. I can invite you to a 1/2 hour webinar explaining exactly how it works. My name is Andrea Matye Whitley.

Please disregard people who are trying to sell the product.

A meal replacement shake will not signal your body to hold onto lean muscle mass.

OP, any meal replacement would work for you. You can make your own too. Blend up some fruit, water/milk, and some protein powder (you can get a ton of different flavours out there), and you're good to go. Or you can take an hour say once a week and make a bunch of breakfast stuff. When I was working I would spend 20 mins on Sunday night. I made five eggs, sliced up lettuce and tomatos... than made either five breakfast wrap or sandwiches. Made breakfast sooo easy!

I personally don't go for meal replacement shakes... especially those like BOdy by VI, Shakeology and the on you mentioned. They are far too expensive for the processed junk they are. I would rather spend that $3 a shake or whatever they cost and have some real food. I find real food to be much more satisfying.
  • sb4health
    Options
    If you're looking for convenience while losing weight, I think the Shaklee 180 shakes are a convenient, well balanced, artificial free choice.

However, as many have said, you can make your own by shopping for fresh ingredients... just do some research online for recipes with adequate protein, fiber and healthy fats. Too often when people make their own the add too many fruits with limited veggies, nuts and seeds. Also watch the calories! Losing weight is a numbers game and a 500 calorie shake (with no matter how many "good" ingredients) is too many calories for most dieters.
  • amatye75
    amatye75 Posts: 2
    Options
    I could care less if the product was purchased through me. I'm only trying to educate. Do your research and stay away from manufactured ingredients. You are crazy if you think that you can get everything your body needs through food alone. Without some sort of suplementation in the form of vitamins you will never be able to eat the amount of food it takes to get what you need. Good luck on your journey and I hope that you find exactly what you are looking for.

Do your homework, thisisme13, Leucine does just that.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like GNC Total Lean 25, banana , or cookies and cream. So yummy!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I use Ideal Shape and 310 Nutrition MRS's on a daily basis. They both contain good ingredients, only have about 1 or 2 grams of sugar per serving, and only cost about $1.50 a shake.

Do some research online yourself. I did alot of research before I settled on these 2 choices ..

I have lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks using 1 or 2 MRS's a day, and a healthy balanced diet/tracking my food, and mild exercise ...
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    I could care less if the product was purchased through me. I'm only trying to educate. Do your research and stay away from manufactured ingredients. You are crazy if you think that you can get everything your body needs through food alone. Without some sort of suplementation in the form of vitamins you will never be able to eat the amount of food it takes to get what you need. Good luck on your journey and I hope that you find exactly what you are looking for.

Do your homework, thisisme13, Leucine does just that.

I actually do get what my body needs from food minus a B vitamin suppliement. Outside of B vitamins I am at great levels for everything. You can get 100% of your daily vitamins from small portions of fruits and vegetables. I personally prefer food over suppliements.

Leucine may assist with retaining muscle mass but it won't completely prevent it. If you consume calories low enough where you give your body a large deficit you will still lose muscle... with or without suppliements.

Personally, I think meal replacement shakes are a waste of money. You can get much better nutrition from other sources. Unless you are going to do shakes for the rest of your life they are a waste of time now IMO. Learn about nutrition, learn about portions, etc so you can life long weight loss and health.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend anything by Shaklee if you can afford it. I grew up using a lot of their products - soaps, vitamins, etc. I just can't afford it anymore.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I like GNC Total Lean 25, banana , or cookies and cream. So yummy!

those have some seriously questionable ingredients.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    so it's impossible to find the nutrition facts and ingredients list ANYWHERE.

reps, care to point us in the right direction?
  • LovesDoctorWho
    Options
    I did and yes I lost a lot of weight...But guess what, I started eating real food and put it back on.....So I am back again to do it right this time, eating real foods..
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    All of my experiences with Shaklee products have been good, with the downside being they're so expensive. I don't know though if I would be able to do a shake to replace an entire meal. Maybe for breakfast but it's hard to do for lunch unless you're really busy at work and don't have time for anything else (I totally have days like that, today's lunch was some veggies and a protein bar). I haven't tried the 180 shakes, but I did try the Cinch shakes they had before and they were wonderful. I didn't see much in the way of weight loss because I got pregnant and stopped them, but they were tasty and filling. They seem a little high in calories for me if I were to use them as a post workout drink, but as a meal replacement they would be fine.

I would also encourage you to find a brand of bars or something you like that you can keep on you. When I was doing a specific shake based diet I thought it would always be easy to mix up a shake and it wasn't. Having a protein bar in my purse today helped me bypass McDonalds when my doctors appointment went over because it was something I could eat right then.

Oh, and CoachReddy - I found the label info. Here's the link. myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=21242
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    whoa.

that's even more expensive than shakeology and has tons of additives to give it its "vitamin" profile... you can do better than this shake.

look at Shakeology/Vega One/Now Tru-Food Vegan - the ingredient profiles kill this thing, and they're all cheaper.
  • adsaylor
    adsaylor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am drinking shakeology and it has really helped with my appetite