Gastric Bypass!

Im new on the site, getting gastric Bypass hopefully next month, got 9 lbs left of the 35 to lose for surgery, and was already 100 lbs down from my heaviest! guess im looking for friends also having or who had surgery

Replies

• Gyroid
    Gyroid Posts: 12
    Good luck to you!
    Feel free to add me if you want.
    We are all here to support one another.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    I had gastric bypass surgery 4.5 years ago. I reached my goal weight at the 14 month mark and have maintained since then. It saved my life. Good luck to you!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Welcome. I had gastric bypass almost seven months ago, and have nothing negative to say about it. Search the forums for gastric bypass and weight loss surgery groups. There are several, but a couple that have more traffic than the rest. You'll find lots of folks who are very supportive, and we'd be happy to share our experiences and answer questions. Good luck.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    You sound like you are in the right frame of mind and strength to reach you goals without a bypass. You have obviously been working hard and will have to continue doing so bypass or not. Please don't think I'm being unsupportive, I'm just looking at how far you have come on your own and then looking at the risk of surgery.
  • nona49
    nona49 Posts: 1 Member
    GOOD LUCK to you ! ! I actually work for a Health system and my job is getting our patients approved for Bariatric surgery so I know how hard you have had to work. Hope it goes well. Which procedure are you having ?
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Out of curiosiy, you've done so well lossing 100 lbs on your own why are you getting bypass instead of continuing on your healthy living?
    I do not see surgery as an option for me, but I've thought about it. I'm 70 lbs down in a very very slow laborus manner.
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    I watched on you tube superskinny verses supperfat. They had some information on Gastric Bypass. They said that you could not eat adult size meals and had to stay away from certain foods.
  • EricTreloar
    EricTreloar Posts: 3 Member
    11/12/12 lost 76 lbs so far. doing well but can't say it is easy the first month or two. It sucks! however, would do it again without hesitation. It is most defiantly worth it. Nevertheless, as I said it was a struggle with a lot of doubts at first. I didn't know if I had made the right choice at first. It was a struggle with the drain, worrying about what foods to eat and not to eat, and not being able to eat anything at times, worrying about getting enough nutrition and water, worrying about possible side effects of surgery etc etc etc.

I'm getting things figured out now and finding more things I can eat. It becomes habit measuring and recording your food. Using myfitness pal is one of the best things one can do. it really lays it out right in front of you--makes it clear how everything that touches your tongue adds up. The app helps me make decisions on what to eat next or how I should change the foods that I have been eating. Just listen to your doctor and relax. Everything works out with time. Be patient and follow the doctors instructions and you will be fine. Do not push what you eat but eventually you will eat more normal--well, a little more normal than the first few months anyway. Losing all of the weight prior to surgery and the pre-surgery diet the week before is tough. But it gets you used to it after surgery and makes the surgery much easier on you and the doctor. gl and let me know if you have any questions at any time today, in a month or in 6 months...---Eric
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    I've had several friends that have had the surgery and have had great luck with it. It wasnt an easy decision for them to make,,,,but,,,,,it was their decision and it turned out well. I respect that in them and you. I have not had surgery, but, we are all here to support one another. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    :flowerforyou: i am in the process of being approved through insurance for gastric by-pass! i have sent a friend request your way!
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Hiya,

I had gastric bypass two weeks ago. So far everything is going perfectly. Feel free to add me!