Low Blood Sugar Issues

Options
Ever since I started trying to eat healthy and cut back my calories (1200 per day) I have had the occasional issue of blacking out/passing out from low blood sugar in the morning. I have to keep apple juice by my bed to drink as soon as I feel an acute attack happening. I realize that I should eat protein before bed to prevent this kind of thing, but I just want to know if anyone else has had issues with this/what you did to resolve it.

It's not a new issue with me, it's happened occasionally in the past. Only now, it's happening much more frequently. I would really like to know if other people have had this issue or if it's just me!

And FYI - I am only a bit overweight. I am 5'1", 135 lbs, and plan on getting down to around 120. So I am not obese and have never had an issue with diabetes.

Replies

• RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You need more wholegrains rather than protein. Your body can extract glucose from carbs, not protein. Try eating more whole grain pasta, brown rice or quinoa for dinner to sustain you for longer.
    Apple juice will only spike your blood sugar more, that stuff is pretty much liquid sugar.
    Maybe it would be worth going to the doctors and getting your insulin levels tested just incase.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with low blood sugar, too. What helps me is to eat something every couple of hours. Don't skip meals and DO eat snacks! Ait helps me to stay away from processed foods, junk food, and too many sweets.