Logging calories with a juicer

Options
Hey everyone :)

Just hoping to get some advice here. I got a juicer a couple days ago and I reaaally love it! I love making all sorts of healthy combinations with fruits and vegetables. The only thing is that I dont know how to determine the calories consumed when using a juicer. I dont want to log the whole fruit/veggie because I dont consume the whole thing, and when I search on MFP for juicer, they only have a few combo's and i dont know how many veggies/fruits they use.

Anyone know how to solve this??

Thanks,
Silvia

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're consuming everything but the fiber (which you need to eat for digestion) so whatever goes in the juicer should be logged as calories. Fiber has virtually no calories.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The only way that I found to figure it out is item by item....aka....a pain in the butt. Mostly fruit juices are the highest and then vegetable juices are not that much at all. If you look up Whole Foods green lemonade that can give you a rough estimate as to the fruit and juice combo. Orange and apple you can find in the database pretty easily too so I normally add those in addition. I usually put my recipe in as the most common things I use originally and then sub in changes after that and update.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Basically, I've created custom foods for the items I typically juice. They're essentially the raw version of the food, minus the fiber.

Or, if all you're interested in is the calories, you can measure what comes out of the juicer. 4 oz. of fruit juice is about 50 calories and 4 oz. of vegetable juice is about 30 calories.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    This is greatly debated. I tend not to log the calories except for bananas.
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I was considering not logging it at all (since I normally dont log all my fruit/veggies as well), because I do have a higher calorie diet, but I think I am more curious then anything of how many calories my juices are because I have 1-3 a day now.

Thanks everyone for your input, it has helped a lot!!!
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

I was considering not logging it at all (since I normally dont log all my fruit/veggies as well), because I do have a higher calorie diet, but I think I am more curious then anything of how many calories my juices are because I have 1-3 a day now.

Thanks everyone for your input, it has helped a lot!!!

Are you heavy on the fruits??? I would factor that in when I was using a lot of mango and apples (they were on sale... lol) but when I'm really greem with just one apple and the rest veggie loaded (most of the time) I don't even think about it.