I'm headed for a Heart Attack?!

Options
When I run, my heartrate raises to over 200bpm. I'm not overly winded... dizzy... I have no pain... it's SUSTAINED at that level.... My heart isn't like... POUNDING... it's just.... Fast.... So does this mean I'm going to have a heart attack?

Trainer guy at the gym says it does. CONTEXT: this is the same trainer guy who told me I was fat when I'm in the MID-NORMAL range for BMI.

At rest, my heart rate is below 70bpm. My blood pressure is occassionally so slow that I get stars in front of my vision when I stand. Been like that my whole life. Around... 90 to 100 over 60 to 70. That's just ME. It's how I've always been. Was born early... makes me a little F***ed up.

I'm booking myself an appointment with my GP for a stress test... because I'm officially freaking PARANOID... even though I've been running several times a week for over an hour at a time & my heart rate has ALWAYS done this. I've never really thought much about it, to be honest. I figured... if I was in any danger, there'd be like... SYMPTOMS... right? Pain, dizziness, light-headed-ness, starry vision... SOMETHING... I'm 30 years old... I'm NOT overweight...

What. The. F***?

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I guess no one has seen my thread! That makes me sad!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Heart rate will vary from person to person, fitness level, age etc.. 200 does sound pretty high. I'm a little older than you and -am- overweight, but can safely go to 175 - 185...

You're on the right track. Ask a professional (aka a DOCTOR) if s/he clears you and says your good, then get a new trainer (might wanna do that anyway).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor about this, not your trainer. And don't talk to that guy that tells you you're fat when your BMI is healthy, and you're exercising to be even healthier.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. A trainer is not a medical professional. I wouldn't listen to him anymore. Sounds like a jerk. You don't need that.
  • SaloMousa
    SaloMousa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Im 19 years old, I train some people at my local gym and I can tell you that trainers dont know **** about that, you should take words like that from a doctor, not a trainer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    A pulse rate of 200 at maximal exercise by itself is NOT a cause for concern for a woman in her 30s. It is nominally higher than average by a few beats. What is important is that you come back to rest hr quickly and feel no pain. It is also likely that you are not trained.

See your doc nonetheless for a check-up.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    A pulse rate of 200 at maximal exercise by itself is NOT a cause for concern for a woman in her 30s. It is nominally higher than average by a few beats. What is important is that you come back to rest hr quickly and feel no pain. It is also likely that you are not trained.

See your doc nonetheless for a check-up.

I have the same problem except I've seen it as high as 238. I can drop it back to rest give it a minute or two. That being said I still think there's something wrong with me...I'm waiting for x-rays to come back in the next few days and then I have to see my doc again. I suggest the OP does the same.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    why are you paying a jerk who knows squit?

Only your doc knows the answer to your question, but I do know a guy who has much the same. He's perfectly healthy & just seems able to work at a higher rate than most. The docs aren't worried about him.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mine started high like that when I was on the elliptical ...but now it has moved down to 150 Bpm ..do the test..and follow the GP's instructions..
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Yeah... I'm going for the stress test. Once I finish my antibiotics for strep throat (yeah.. it's been a rough week) I'm going back to the gym to run some more... I'll worry if I feel something weird while running. So far, so good.

But I don't think I'm going to work on speed, or extending my time... or even running that half-marathon next month that I was supposed to run, unless I can see my Doctor first.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    My heart rate maintains at 170-180 when running long distances... nobody believes me until I show them my HRM. Are you using a chest strap to measure?
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    First question: How do you measure your HR? If you count your pulse for fifteen seconds and multiply by four (like a nurse would do) you can get some rounding errors. If you use a HRM there can be errors there too especially if you are moving.

Second question: What medical school did your trainer go to? Heart attacks are caused by blood clots or plaque blocking a heart vessel. A too rapid heart rate can cause ischemia or pain from the heart not getting enough blood but that goes away as soon as your heart rate drops.

You have already done the smart thing by having a real doctor check you out. Hope all goes well and you can run your half-marathon without worries.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    First question: How do you measure your HR? If you count your pulse for fifteen seconds and multiply by four (like a nurse would do) you can get some rounding errors. If you use a HRM there can be errors there too especially if you are moving.

Second question: What medical school did your trainer go to? Heart attacks are caused by blood clots or plaque blocking a heart vessel. A too rapid heart rate can cause ischemia or pain from the heart not getting enough blood but that goes away as soon as your heart rate drops.

You have already done the smart thing by having a real doctor check you out. Hope all goes well and you can run your half-marathon without worries.

^this
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Heart rate varies a lot for people. For example I absolutely could not sustain 200bpm for more than 5-10 seconds before physically needing to stop moving.
    If you're not experiencing chest pain, light-headedness and shortness of breath I wouldn't freak out about it. But I would see a doctor before continuing to exercise at this intensity. He may prescribe you a cardiac stress test.

Exercise absolutely can induce heart failure. It's unlikely in a relatively healthy 30 year old but it's not impossible.