I'm sure this has been asked 100 times...

Options
But do you log things like cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.? I spend my whole day doing that stuff and it would be cool if that stuff really counted as a "workout" but I guess I am just unsure if it's going to be a good idea...what do you think?

Replies

• 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Do you sweat while grocery shopping?
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    sometimes i log heavy house cleaning if i remember but that's only because i'm not doing that on a daily basis.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i only count stuff as exercise when i exert myself. everything is just considered part of living
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    depends on your activity level settings.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I once logged laundry because I had to do it the old fashioned way because the ones where I live were broken and I was exhausted after I finished. It was hard work. If I went shopping and was walking around for an hour or two I would log it. I don't log for things like that, that I do on a daily basis though because it is already included in my calorie count for the day.

Edit: The machines where I live were broken at the time.
  • AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never log shopping. However, my husband and I will occasionally send the baby to Grandma and Grandpa's house and do some major cleaning. Since it's pretty rare that we do that and I always get my heart rate up, I'll log it for some piddly amount of calories. Daily cleaning, however, does not get logged.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Personally, no!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Do you sweat while grocery shopping?

well no, but I don't ALWAYS sweat when walking on the treadmill or outside but I know I am burning calories obviously.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nope I consider housework, laundry, and shopping part of living. However I have seen people on a different website log every bit of purposeful movement including sitting at a desk??? Personal choice, I'd say.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It depends.. Walmart effin' carts are a lot bigger than CVS carts :P
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    No - I only log work outs. In other words, if I have to put on my sports bra for it, I will log it :smile:
  • emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally do, because I have my activity level set to "sedentary," so I figure any time I'm on my feet for an hour or more will up my calorie needs from if I was just sitting around. Plus it encourages me and reminds me that little things do add up. However, I'm not as diligent about "eating back" those calories... but that's just me.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No - I only log work outs. In other words, if I have to put on my sports bra for it, I will log it :smile:
    ^This.
  • VpinkLotus
    Options
    It depends.. Walmart effin' carts are a lot bigger than CVS carts :P

Rght on ;-)
  • VpinkLotus
    Options

Ha! Awesome :)
  • VpinkLotus
    Options
    I personally do, because I have my activity level set to "sedentary," so I figure any time I'm on my feet for an hour or more will up my calorie needs from if I was just sitting around. Plus it encourages me and reminds me that little things do add up. However, I'm not as diligent about "eating back" those calories... but that's just me.

See I ALWAYS eat back my calories from exercise which is why I was concerned.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is, if you did it before you started trying to actively lose weight, then it's a part of your lifestyle and not exercise.

If you are worried about the calories, then up your activity level to lightly active and don't log all that stuff.
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I figure if it isn't a daily ordeal then I can log it. Why else would it be an option? If it isn't something I do every day, like tending to the kids, cooking (which i use to count but don't now), and picking up around the house then I figure it is out of the ordinary and would be calories that I don't normally burn. Just like I went "grocery shopping, pushing the cart" with a baby in a carrier (27 lbs), my son riding on the front end (48 lbs) and groceries. Not sure if anyone else has noticed but when the cart gets heavy, it gets really hard to push! Not to mention trying to keep a 3 year old entertained and make behave the whole time. So anyway, I went to Walmart. I live .2 miles from the gas station at the end of our road. I figured it is .2 from the front of the store to the back of the store. I went back and forth 4 times, which made .8 miles, NOT COUNTING all the detours, and the walk to and from the vehicle. So, YES, I log those tasks that are not my daily routine. LOL
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is, if you did it before you started trying to actively lose weight, then it's a part of your lifestyle and not exercise.

If you are worried about the calories, then up your activity level to lightly active and don't log all that stuff.

This. It's no different than before you started trying to lose weight unless for some reason you were bedridden.