What does an average SLICE of pie or cake mean to you!?

Options
So I love key lime pie. LOVE it. But according to MFP a slice is as much as a meal I eat..

I mean whats an 'average' slice mean for you? I keep mine on the small side, not a 'thin' slice, but well a slice. I know its not always accurate on here. But what does a slice mean to you?!

Replies

• sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1/12 of a pie. Probably more like 1/16 of a really tall cake or cheesecake.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Seriously, best 25 dollar investment ever. I weigh everything in grams per the serving size.
    Then you can find out the accurate calories in a "slice" and adjust accordingly.

I love key lime pie too :-) and Ben n Jerry's key lime pie ice cream...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    To me, a slice means more than just licking the sugar from the side of the pan. I want it to be decent.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    My mum loves experimenting with gluten free cakes and I'm the lucky one who gets to taste test her efforts. She'll drop over a container with a thin slice of cake and I'll think "ooh, that's lovely, now where's the rest?". One day I asked her if she was giving me subtle hints to diet by offering me small slices of cake she said that she just gave me the same size piece she'd give to anyone else.

So my idea of a good slice of cake or pie is probably the equivalent of four servings which is then served with cream and ice cream. Basically restaurant sized portions. That is why I'm fat.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    mhmm, you're making me want coconut cream pie. I may just have to make some next weekend

likes JacksMom said, a food scale is a good idea. but otherwise, you'll just have to guesstimate.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you are comparing NI from restaurant desserts, those are frequently 1/5th of the pie, so someone's thin slice at home wouldn't be nearly the same size.
  • sirabbadon
    sirabbadon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1/6 of the pie. You give me less and call it a slice, there will be words...
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    pie-i-have-not-eaten-7.jpeg

that's all it means to me, nothing more.

a slice is any size that gets me closer to my goal of finishing the pie.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    zip lol
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1/4 of the pie
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1/8 of a 9-inch round pie. Same with cake. People have got to be able to enjoy their treats. :)
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Before I started trying to be healthy: I'd hunt around for the biggest one if it was already sliced. If it wasn't, I'd slice a pretty big piece.. then another :blushing:

Now: I look for a pretty small piece. Something just to sustain my sweet tooth lol(:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you're cutting the whole pie, I'd say 1/8 of the pie is a serving. For calorie estimate, you'd kind of need to know what the whole pie is, esp since they're made so differently (sugar, flour, etc.)
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think about 3" wide and however deep it ends up being. :) Mmm.. cake!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I assumed an average slice to be about 1/8th. I usually only eat pie around major holidays, so it's not enough to make a difference in my diet. But, like MizTerry said, when I do I don't want just a lick of the plate. :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I would say an average/typical slice of pie would be about 3" wide at the thick end. But yeah, the MFP calorie list leaves a lot to be desired. I think it's full of user-entered information that fit into that particular user's daily calories best and not so much about how many calories it actually was. I ate a 12 oz steak last week and the first entry said it was 195 calories! I researched it elsewhere and it was really 620 calories. I'm sure there are other websites out there with more specific sizes of key lime pie and what the calories are per ounce instead of the nebulous "per slice". Then you can be helpful and enter the right information on MFP for the next person. :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    3 ounces
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I ate one Subway Cookie the other day and then found out it was 200 calories!!!! A slice of pie is out of the question!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    pie-i-have-not-eaten-7.jpeg

that's all it means to me, nothing more.

oh this reminds me of childhood and when my grandma made by favorite chocolate pudding pie. Dole out 1-3 servings to family members, and what was remaining (like in your picture) was all mine :laugh: and boy did I enjoy it!
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    To me if it's like a single layer half sheet cake, like a birthday cake or something in a 9x13 for me to "eyeball" an "average" would be like a 2.5-3" x 2.5-3" slice. For an 6-8" pie plate I'd think 1/6th of it is average- if it's a 10-12" pie plate then I'd think it's 1/8th. But then clearly I have a problem with desserts!