Banned from running, so what's the next best thing?

Options
I can't run anymore due to knee issues. I cant put alot of impact pressure on them. That means no treadmills, so whats the next best cardio thing to do to burn the most calories? Stationary bikes don't seem to burn that much..

Replies

• lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine or recumbent exercise bike, the later being used by many people with physical limitations. I dieted and used my bike a lot and cut much of my total weight loss.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I feel like I could use a big for hours and not burn nearly as much as I could on a treadmill,,, it's frustrating and disappointing..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    stairs are good but might be off limits too due to knee. next highest cals burners i've found, swimming, recumbant bike, and elliptical in that order.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Biking while bicep curling.
  • MrProteinshake
    Options
    Surprised swimming has not been mentioned. SO swimming is a GREAT option :)
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I *love* swimming! I have arthritic hips and knees and swimming is great for that. It's a full body workout and nearly as effective as running as a fat-burner, but spread out all over the body instead of focusing on just legs. Different strokes will work different muscle groups so it's an all around great cardio workout if you can do it. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could use a big for hours and not burn nearly as much as I could on a treadmill,,, it's frustrating and disappointing..

Go to a spin class. I think you'll change your mind.
  • frinklefairy
    Options
    I agree with swimming. I have feet and knee injuries and that's one of the best ways to really punish the calories out! Also gives you lovely strong legs without the squats... ouch!
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    water zumba!! you're virtually weightless in the water... good rest for the joints... I suffer from arthritis and bursitis... water zumba is awesome!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I got the same news from the doc this a.m. - nothing that puts excess pressure on the knees....that included bike, rowing, elliptical, and even weights. Swimming and deep water aerobics were about the only things on the okay list.

Good luck!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Actual cycling with low gears. I can't run either because of my hip. Swimming would be top of the list for cardiovascular. A couple of people I work with have bad knees and have developed some really good weight training programs - note here that both are in mid - thirties and former college athletes so not an age issue
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Swimming, elliptical, cycling. Knee issues are tough, mine aren't great but I stick to mostly low impact cardio, weight training, and yoga. best of luck :smile:
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Elliptical or Arc Trainer.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Exercise should not be primarily about calorie burn anyway. That is the wrong reason to do it and unlikely to sustain for life if that is your only motivation. That said, elliptical, done with a high resistance or set to interval training, same with the stationary bike.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Did a doctor tell you not to run? Do you know the cause of your knee issues? I ask because when I ran years ago, the muscles in my legs became unbalanced and my knees hurt like crazy. I went to physical therapy and it solved many of the problems and I was able to run again.

I'd suggest talking to a doctor to find out what could help and what you should avoid. Elliptical was great for me, but swimming,and stair master killed me - I see all of these suggested above.
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nordic track ski machine is great. Little stress on the joints and an excellent calorie burner. Check Craigslist for one. I picked mine off of Craigslist afew years ago, virtually new for $50.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike burns plenty of calories, just keep the intensity up. Although with knee issues you'll need to watch the resistance and coming out of the saddle as it can put pressure on your knee. Try seated interval sprint work with as much resistance as you can handle (pain free of course). Seriously good calorie burn.

Also - boxing is a fantastic workout and low impact on the knees provided you watch the foot work

You can trust me, I've had 3 months off running because of knee injuries and have just started again reccently and I've managed to stay very fit (and not gain weight but that's more about diet)

Boxing, cycling, swimming and lifting weights - you'll be set
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike burns plenty of calories, just keep the intensity up. Although with knee issues you'll need to watch the resistance and coming out of the saddle as it can put pressure on your knee. Try seated interval sprint work with as much resistance as you can handle (pain free of course). Seriously good calorie burn.

Also - boxing is a fantastic workout and low impact on the knees provided you watch the foot work

You can trust me, I've had 3 months off running because of knee injuries and have just started again reccently and I've managed to stay very fit (and not gain weight but that's more about diet)

Boxing, cycling, swimming and lifting weights - you'll be set

YES! Excellent advice here!