Nutritional Facts-Servings

Options
When looking at the servings size of say frozen sweet potato fries. Are they talking 3oz is 1 serving ....weighed frozen out the bag...or weighed cooked. So should I be weighing my portions precooked or as I start to plate after its done. What is everyone doing?

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    How much does the bag weigh? How much does it say it weighs? If the two are equal then it is 3 oz frozen.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    usually with frozen stuff like that, i weight it frozen. dunno if its right or not, just always how i did it.
    leighann makes a good point though :) easy enough to test it.
  • Blafily
    Blafily Posts: 21
    Options
    bump for more suggestions
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Unless it says "as prepared" the serving weight and nutrition facts are for the "as packaged" product. The only exceptions would be those products where the preparation would not affect the nutritional values (i.e. rice as prepared with water).
  • Blafily
    Blafily Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks alot ...kind of makes more since. What about cuts of meat like steak and pork chops...Should I be weighing raw or cooked weight? MFP database for meats is it cooked or raw?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    thanks alot ...kind of makes more since. What about cuts of meat like steak and pork chops...Should I be weighing raw or cooked weight? MFP database for meats is it cooked or raw?
    Typically it says if its cooked or raw on the database entry. I always weigh my meats raw and use the usda entries