Can you recommend a good exercise monitor?

ZulyC
ZulyC Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm not sure how accurate the "calories burned" from exercise is on this site. I've been logging "aerobics - general" when I do my Jillian Michaels workouts, but the amount of calories it says I burn seem kind of high. To be sure, I wanted to get one of those exercise monitors that tell you your heart rate, calories burned, etc. Can anyone recomment a good one? Thanks!!

Replies

• deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,387 Member
    I have a Sportline Duo 1010 and am pretty happy with it. But I've read some information on the forums here that suggest it isn't as accurate as other HRM products. They say you need to be able to enter some key information to allow it to calculate the calories burned and be as accurate as possible and mine doesn't allow entry of one of those pieces of information. But I still like it as far as comfort and reliability.

Here are a couple posts to read regarding HRM's and calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/65245-more-hrm-calorie-data?hl=polar+calories#posts-817169
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64411-limitations-of-hrm-calorie-counts?hl=polar+calories#posts-799358

I've come to the conclusion that all any device can do is estimate the calories burn and while it's good to be as accurate as possible we just need to accept that the numbers aren't 100% accurate. My feeling is that the calories we record for our food intake is about the same as far as accuracy. Something that is prepackaged could be more accurate than something we prepare at home because the portions are more consistent. As long as it's in the neighborhood I'm good with that.

I think the important thing we can use the HRM for is to measure ourselves against ourselves. We can compare one workout to another. Then when we see a pattern from logging food, exercise, and weight, we can have a good idea of what we need to do to make progress to our goals.
  • ZulyC
    ZulyC Posts: 19
    Thank you. Great information in those links. :smile:
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Bodybugg...monitors ALL the time, not just when you are formally exercising!
  • wicca50
    wicca50 Posts: 4
    Polar rs300x it is the best!!
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    I just bought the SportlineS12 series and not really sure yet. I just started using it and the other day while walking on my treadmill for 40 minutes, it was not the same. The treadmill was almost 100 calories higher than the HRM. I'm really confused. I understand it can just estimate, but now which do I use...treadmill rate or HRM rate? I really bought it for the calories and the distance (even that was off too). I have set it up for my profile. If anyone knows anything about this one, please give me some advice.

Thanks!
  • deckerp
    I found the same thing with my Sportline DUO 1010. The HRM said 465 and the elliptical said 700 (or more).

The HRM was setup with my data whereas the elliptical really has no way of entering any personal information to make the calories burned more accurate for you.

I've read other people just split the difference to use on MFP. For me, I'm just trying to compare one workout with another. As long as the scales moves in the right direction then I'm OK with whatever number I'm using (the elliptical).

Since the weather is nicer now I plan to go on walks some of the time instead of using the elliptical all the time (don't want to burn out on it). For the walks I can compare the calories to the numbers the HRM gave me on the elliptical to the ones it gives me on the walks.
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    :smile: deckerp...thanks for the input. What exactly do you mean split the difference? Sorry, it's late so maybe I'm just confused!!! :huh: I am planning on using mine during Aerobic type exercises too (ie. Wii Just Dance, BL etc). I am really curious about the actual distance. I may give it a try tomorrow outside and see what happens. It is weird how all these calorie counters are so different...but I agree, as long as the scale is moving. However, right now, mine is not. I've been playing with these two pounds for the last couple weeks. Up then down, really frustrating. That is why I bought the HRM so that I could hopefully get the scale to move again. So far I've lost 22 pounds (12 with MFP 10 prior). My goal is 50!! I think that once it starts to move again I will be happy right now a bit discouraged, but not giving up.

Well, thanks again!!!!! :drinker:
  • deckerp
    What exactly do you mean split the difference?
    What I mean is the average. If the HRM says 450 and the elliptical says 700 then I could split the difference or average the two and use 575 for my calorie number. Who knows which one is more correct right? I've actually been using the higher one since it's been working out for me. If I get into better shape then I may need to change my number to suit that.

I went through a period of a few weeks with no net loss on the scales too. I think what may have made mine start moving again was a weekend off my routine. I ate a bit more than usual and exercised a bit less than usual. Maybe I was too far under my calorie goal for too long. So my body decided not to cooperate with me for a while. I don't know that's what it was, but after a big three day weekend of relaxed rules I started back down again. I more or less went right back to the same routine I'd been using too. I really didn't think I'd gone under all that much. Maybe my exercise wasn't as effective anymore because I had not been varying it for a while or my conditioning was better so it wasn't burning the same calories as before.

In any case I got past that point and am moving at about the same overall pace as before, 4 - 5 lbs per month.
    So far I've lost 22 pounds (12 with MFP 10 prior). My goal is 50!!
    Should your ticker say: 22 lbs lost and 50 lbs for the goal?

Good luck. It sounds like you're doing great.
This discussion has been closed.