Gluten Free Lifestyle!

Replies

• Ade2013
    Ade2013 Posts: 28
    i think the best answer montana , is to say you will eat whole foods. One thing many here who are coeliac / intolerant to gluten will probably know is that gluten free condiments / sauces and foods in general are normally bulked up with fat / salt in place of the gluten as are many gluten free breads / pies etc. So you could well go gluten free and be eating an unhealthier diet than before.

gluten free pre packaged foods tend to be very high in calories indeed, dont get me wrong every now and then i have a gluten free chicken pie etc - but its a treat and no healthier than eating a normal pie .

Hope this helps
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    So what's wrong with gluten if you're not intolerant?
    Gluten is a biproduct of wheat processing. It is used to bulk up foods and give them more elasticity. Technically it is not a natural substance found in nature, so that is why a lot of people choose to take it out of their diet.
    Gluten is a composite of a gliadin and a glutenin which is most certainly naturally-occuring.
  • QUOTE:

Might be a fad thing, but check out the book "Wheat Belly" if you're interested
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    I am gluten free (most of the time), I feel much better. I have autoimmune disease that is why I went that way. As far as gluten free snack foods, they can be junk just like regular junk food. You are better off staying away from all processed food and going for free range chicken eggs, grass fed beef, lean turkey and lamb, organic veggies and fruits, quinoa, oats that have not been processed with wheat (organic oats are the best). Good luck! :smile:

Can I ask what you have? I have one too (RA) and I've considered gluten free...
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member

I know that for many its a fad diet. But there are more and more studies that upwards of 20-40% (cannot remember exactly) of population may be intolerant to gluten. I need to find some of the studies and I post them. They could be the cause of many automimmune diseases. If people are looking for a quick fix for dieting than that is another story. I personally think processed pasta and bread are horrible choices in food no matter what. That is not how we were meant to eat. Don't get me wrong I still have them ever once awhile but I try to stay away from them.

Ok I overestimated on the population, I think I was thinking of thyroid problems. But they are estimating that 18 million (i knew it was alot) have gluten sensitivity, much more than people with actually celiac. Gluten Sensitivity differs in that people have problems with it but can still eat with out doing tremendous damage like it would in Celiac

Here is a link http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member

Gluten is a biproduct of wheat processing. It is used to bulk up foods and give them more elasticity. Technically it is not a natural substance found in nature, so that is why a lot of people choose to take it out of their diet.

And what's natural about going to grocery store for our food. I mean, I bet it would be pretty hard to find bananas where most of us live, naturally :P
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    i think the best answer montana , is to say you will eat whole foods. One thing many here who are coeliac / intolerant to gluten will probably know is that gluten free condiments / sauces and foods in general are normally bulked up with fat / salt in place of the gluten as are many gluten free breads / pies etc. So you could well go gluten free and be eating an unhealthier diet than before.

gluten free pre packaged foods tend to be very high in calories indeed, dont get me wrong every now and then i have a gluten free chicken pie etc - but its a treat and no healthier than eating a normal pie .

Hope this helps

I agree with everything that you said here. Gluten free food does tend to pack in the sodium. I try to make everything I eat homemade from one-ingredient sources. That has worked best for me, and it is a great wholesome way to eat.
  • chels0722
    :wink:

And what's natural about going to grocery store for our food. I mean, I bet it would be pretty hard to find bananas where most of us live, naturally :P

Excellent point. I wish I had a jungle in my back yard to do my shopping in :wink:
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    I am gluten free (most of the time), I feel much better. I have autoimmune disease that is why I went that way. As far as gluten free snack foods, they can be junk just like regular junk food. You are better off staying away from all processed food and going for free range chicken eggs, grass fed beef, lean turkey and lamb, organic veggies and fruits, quinoa, oats that have not been processed with wheat (organic oats are the best). Good luck! :smile:

Can I ask what you have? I have one too (RA) and I've considered gluten free...

I have autoimmune thyroiditis. But there have been studies that people with any autoimmune disease maybe gluten sensitive. Its worth a shot. You can find plenty of studies and helpful website on online about it. Just make sure you go to sites that a trustworthy.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    I went on a gluten free diet (for health reasons) after I began my weight loss journey. I don't feel that it necessarily added to the weight loss but it did help me turn my health around. If you are going for a healthier lifestyle then my recommendation would be to also stay away from the Gluten Free option of a "regular" junk food. Try to limit your amount of processed foods and eat more veggies, fruits and things like quinoa (I LOVE IT). Good luck!
  • chels0722
    Gluten is a composite of a gliadin and a glutenin which is most certainly naturally-occuring.

You are right. I should have clarified that I was talking about added gluten found in most processed foods. A lot of food companies will extract and use the gluten from wheat unnaturally, which is what I was referring to. Thank you for mentioning that.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Honestly if you're truly going to go "gluten free" you need to be cognizant of the ingredients even when it says "gluten free". There's a huge list of products that actually contain gluten and "other ingredients" in products that may as well. Also when you go out to eat you need to ask how the food is prepared. Is your gluten free stuff being cooked separate from those items that contain gluten because if you get french fries and they are fried in the same oil that they fry breaded items in then you're ingesting gluten through the oil.

I get the whole "gluten free" fad but it's a lot more than just not eating breads or wheat.

My sister has celiacs and it's pretty rough to be 100% gluten free.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Snickers are gluten free!!!!!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    I a GF and EF due to food allergies. I have not eaten either since January without consequence and have been doing really well. I have been fortunate enought to stumble onto a few great website/blogs and can eat basically normal now. Paleo is a great choice as well. If you have a smart phone there are some great apps that will tell you if a product contains gluten or not by scanning the ingrediants (I use it every shopping trip). Unfortunately there are many hidden ingrediants that you need to watch for. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    If I could make on suggestion, from someone who has been [medically] required to be gluten-free for about two years now...

Your health will improve if you cut out grains in general, rather than simply replacing them with the "Gluten-Free" alternative. Eating a GF cookie is no better for you than a regular cookie in terms of weight loss. They both have sugar, starch, and depending on who makes it, may have trans-fats (hydrogenated oils). So rather than simply getting gluten free bread, just don't eat bread. Make a lettuce wrap instead of a sandwich. Skip the toast. Have veggies instead of pasta.

Since the sudden advent of gluten-awareness, and the discovery of a variety of illnesses and disorders caused by gluten, food companies have been marketing their "gluten free" products, but many times the wheat is simply replaced by potato starch, corn starch, or some other type of flour that is just as fattening (since carbs turn into fat), and will not help you lose weight. So people have this mentality (I had it too, when I first started) of "Oh it's GF, so it doesn't really count..." or "It's GF, so it's healthy!" will find themselves NOT losing weight, and wondering why, when they've been eating so "healthy"! Pure granulated sugar is gluten free, but I wouldn't recommend eating it by the spoonful...

And yes, other non-grain foods contain gluten. And if you want to be completely GF (eliminate completely rather than limit), by all means, get the GF versions. For me, it's a necessity. If I want soy sauce, I have to get the GF kind. But try to aviod the "GF alternatives" and find other foods to use instead. Your waist and your wallet will thank you.

And I'm certainly not saying that gluten isn't damaging to health even to those who don't have diagnosed intolerances. There are quite a few nutritionists and other researchers who are finding evidence of multiple problems being caused by gluten, even to those without allergies or clear intolerances.

A book you may be interested in is "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. It's rather enlightening to see what eliminating wheat can do. Good luck on your journey, and feel free to add me (my diary is open only to friends) if you need some help with what to eat.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member

Many people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to gluten and don't know it. I've met many people who were chronically sick, and whose doctors finally prescribed a no- or low-gluten diet, and they saw miraculous results in their overall health, including but not limited to weight loss, clearer skin, a reduction in digestive problems, and increased energy.

You don't have to have celiac to see benefits from a gluten-free or gluten-restricted diet.
  • I feel like people see Gluten Free and automatically think "well this must be healthy, there's no gluten in it!" Plenty of people have lost weight and improved health with gluten in their diet. It is not a neccessary thing to remove to improve health, unless you have medical problems with it.
  • Thanks everyone for all your comments! I am not just doing this to be "Gluten Free" but to teach myself to stay away from processed foods and eat healthier and more fruits/Veggies and lean meats! Yes I do want to lose weight but more then anything I want to train myself to eat healthy! I have tried just counting calories and staying away from processed foods and I just cant seem to stick with it because I think what is one day of junk gonna hurt and believe me it always hurts me! So my husband and I figured that if we go Gluten Free it will help to train us to stay away from all the junk and processed foods and so far we have been eating way more healthier! I havnt weighed myself yet so dont know if it is helping me to lose weight but honestly I am not too worried, I just know that I already feel better and less bloated! I dont think that it can hurt us at all!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member

Nothing. Gluten is the protein found in wheat. 100% whole wheat bread isn't bad for you unless you eat a loaf at a time. All things in moderation.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    I'm gluten free by choice but not to lose weight. I find wheat gluten makes me bloated, gives my belly a heavy feeling, and gives me gas. I avoid it for the most part. I find I have less belly problems without it. Good luck with your new lifestyle.