Help! I am stuck in a rut and can't get out of it!

Options
This may be a hard question to answer, but how do you re-motivate yourself? Recently, I have just been stuck in a serious rut and I can't seem to get out of it. I haven't been working out, watching what I eat, or anything. What's worst, I don't even care anymore that I'm not trying. Its like I just said "**** it! I'm gonna be fat!" I'm just curious if other people get this way? If so, what do you do to pull yourself up?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I check the success stories thread.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fake it til you make it. I found that when I lack motivation, I need resignation. Not the positive "yay, I can do this" but the dogged "Sigh, I have to do this". Get through 1 day of good decisions at a time, and work your way back into it. Motivation will come and go. determination is key :)
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    WOW I could have written this post. I seriously lack motivation too. :(
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    A look in the mirror, naked, and a conscious appraisal of how I feel both physically and emotional.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a full length mirror in just your underwear.... happy? no? go work out!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't wait to feel motivated.

I get up and put my left foot in front of my right and walk to the gym, once I'm there I work out. I typically don't feel motivated until AFTER I've exercised. The trick is doing it anyway. Days you want to, days you don't, rain or shine, yada yada.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Set yourself a goal that's what I have done and I think how great I will feel when I get there it works for me.
  • rougecrayon
    rougecrayon Posts: 100
    Options
    I try to remind myself that I am the only person I'm hurting. Being self-sabotaging is too easy. I am not going to hate myself for the rest of my life.
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much! You all are so right...I just have to do it!! ....and a good look in the mirror to assess the damage I've done over the past month probably wouldn't hurt either! LOL!!!
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    This is probably wrong on so many levels - but for me - when I'm in a rut and seeing no results and getting crabby about everything....
    1. I plan a 'cheat meal'.... something I have been missing or craving. One meal isn't going to set me back much, and it is possible my rut and mood are simply because I haven't allowed myself to enjoy anything.
    2. I plan a new 'healthy meal'.... something fun. I tend to get in food ruts - eating the same thing day in and day out. BORING!! A new recipe (even if it ends up being horrible) is at least something interesting.
    3. I mix up my work out.... I am a runner (not a good or fast runner, but I run).... and when that gets to be my rut and I'm not enjoying it... I actually do something I know I like even less... makes me appreciate getting back to my 'rut'.
    4. I make a weekly checklist.... I'm a little OCD and having a to do list to check things off when I complete them gives me a sense of satisfaction... which is motivating.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too, but like many have said, I just force myself to do it. I ALWAYS feel better. I can honestly say I have never worked out and regretted it afterward. Eventually I don't have to force myself again. It just comes naturally. Good luck.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't wait to feel motivated.

I get up and put my left foot in front of my right and walk to the gym, once I'm there I work out. I typically don't feel motivated until AFTER I've exercised. The trick is doing it anyway. Days you want to, days you don't, rain or shine, yada yada.

^ THIS

motivated is short term and fleeting

habit is long term and lasting
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Winter is my trouble time zone, I can't swim, I can't bike, I can't run outside because of snowbanks and ice, and it's really hard to motivate to go down to the dreadmill or indoor trainer. they are just awful and so boring. Just keep going. Go pick up a new video, a new set of dumbbells, or some new weight plates, something to make you want to work out. Just remember that this too shall pass. I agree with Nbischoff15 with her 3 options.