learn to run

Hi! I am new and am very interested in learning to run. Currently I do weight training 3 times a week, with 20 mins cardio on those days. I have been taking the weekends off, but I want to have more structure and burn more calories. This is why I want to add some running to the mix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    A great thing to do if you want to start running is Couch to 5k. It's a program that eases you into running. I used it when coming back from an injury and it worked well for me. My husband used it and then ran his first ever 5k. He and I ran 4 miles together this weekend. It works. But really, if you want to start running, just do it. Just make sure you have good running shoes. I highly recommend going to a running store and getting them to help you find shoes that work for you. Good luck!
  • I definitely recommend C25K! I used the app from Active.com on my phone: http://active.com/mobile/c25k

I started out in January and had never run before in my life. I'm in the final week now. I'm excited to "graduate" from the program and continue working on my speed and endurance. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    I definitely recommend C25K! I used the app from Active.com on my phone: http://active.com/mobile/c25k

I started out in January and had never run before in my life. I'm in the final week now. I'm excited to "graduate" from the program and continue working on my speed and endurance. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too!

^^^^ This exactly.

I am NOT a runner by any means, but I got it into my head that I wanted to run a 5k. I've used this app (on Week 3 now) and it's really great. Completely eases me into running. I highly, highly suggest it!
  • lauranell79
    lauranell79 Posts: 31 Member
    I have been going by the couch to 5k treadmill version and LOVE it. I had to restart after week 3 due to being out of the gym after sickness for 3 weeks and it felt great to get back to it yesterday! I felt like I could push harder but want to ease back. I can't wait until I can fully run the 5K!
  • beautifulone0808
    beautifulone0808 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree with all of the above...C25K works! I have used it several times. lol I have NEVER been a runner. It really does ease you into running.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Couch 2 5K is amazing! I completed it over the summer and did two 5K races. However, I got pneumonia in the fall but I just restarted today to get my lungs into shape again. If you decide to start the program, or just run without it, feel free to add me and we can run "together" :D
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Another vote for c25k! It made a runner out of me - great program! I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs on my iPhone. Worked great, gives you all the prompts for when to walk, when to run, when you're halfway, when you've got a minute left.....lets you play your own music while the app is running, too.

You can find overviews of the program online, just google it, and then find an app and go for it!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    if i can do it, you can too, and i was a smoker, i love it now
    i do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day
    i am hyper as hell.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I'm another supporter of c25k.

I tried other programs, c25k was the only one that worked for me. Others were either too intense and I got injured or too boring and I lost interest.

Here's a link!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

When you start out, run as slow as you can and walk fast as you can. Also, never let your mind tell your legs what they can't do. Sometimes it feels like you're not ready to move on to the next week, but you really are you just have to try!
  • mishacarlson
    mishacarlson Posts: 6 Member
    if i can do it, you can too, and i was a smoker, i love it now
    i do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day
    i am hyper as hell.

I'm another ex-smoker having great success with the C25K. I'm up to running 5 minutes at a time and I am so excited to be able to do even that much. Planning on running a complete 5k race the end of June. And yes shoes make a huge difference!
    You can do it!!
  • Kathleen360
    Kathleen360 Posts: 6 Member
    My husband and I have started using Zombies, Run! 5K training. It is very similar to C25K in the way the exercise/training intervals are set up. But the great thing is, it has a story line that goes along with it, which really helps on those days where you have little motivation. There is also a really good online software that goes with it, similar to Runkeeper. There is the original Zombies, Run! which has a more in depth story, which is awesome!

www.zombiesrungame.com

It does cost though, but I believe that it's half off at the moment. I think it's worth it though: the motivation factor, that you have to know the next part of the story.
  • Sadiejane00
    Sadiejane00 Posts: 13 Member
    C25k works great! The biggest note I can tell people, is to trust the prgoram and follow it. It really does work and you will amazed how quick you are running for 30 minutes.