Ohhhh I'm gonna slap you silly, boy!

fiendiish
fiendiish Posts: 186
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My husband.

Dear Lord.

The ruling King of Know-it-alls.

He thinks my buying organic is dumb. Apparently he watched Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t one night talking about organic foods. People given blind tests couldn't taste the difference...so now my husband thinks the organic thing is a big huge joke for profit. I tried to explain to him that it's the chemicals I don't want in my body. I want to live longer, not speed up the process of dying! He doesn't get it.

The joke is on him though....his banana yesterday morning was organic. He called me asked where I bought those bananas because they were really good bananas. He also had "awesome" organic soy creamer in his coffee too :laugh: :bigsmile:

Replies

• jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Epic pwnt!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    It isn't all about taste (although strawberries were the biggest kicker for me -- organic strawberries make most conventional strawberries not even worth my time). Buying sustainably grown food is also about not destroying our planet. Have him read the Omnivore's Dilemma. I was buying a lot of organic before reading it, but that book truly made me a believer in the value of it.
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    I watched that Penn and Teller thing too. They make some good points, gotta admit. When i buy groceries, i only buy a few things organic. Vegetables whose skin i eat like apples, tomatoes, etc... all leafy greens, eggs, milk, and beans. When i ate meat i would only buy it from a local farm whose practices of raising and slaughtering their animals i could feel ok about. I found it to be too expensive to buy all the organic stuff out there, so now i'm selective.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    LOL My husband is the same way, but he will eat whatever I put in front of him anyway! Penn & Teller are full of it! They annoy me! :tongue:
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    I agree, I am the same. I buy organic and it's all related to NOT putting chemical in my house or in my body. I noticed a difference in taste mainly in carrots and strawberries but for me it's not really about taste but about being carefull with what goes in my body.

Also, because I was very very careful about the sodium/salt that I was putting in my body, I ended up paying closer attention to labels and for example, I noticed that the organic made tomato sauce type (pasta sauce), were lower in salt than any others. I'm not saying it's a rule, but just that I noticed that in a few instances.

So for me, no matter what people say, I'm still going for organic and preserving my body and our planet.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    @jdurham87 - I know right! LOL!

@kaitlinj - I'll have to go to Barnes and Noble today. I have to catch him at just the right moment for him to be receptive though LOL!

@hippiechic26 - I'm pretty selective too. My organics come from Trader Joe's for the most part. I grocery shop at Harris Teeter and a lot of times I can find great deals. They have double coupons too so that helps out. Produce is really the BIG thing for me.

@laughingdani - LOL! My husband loves them. Of course, God love my man...but he's kind of easily influenced haha.

@sylviejacques - Me too! I told him to stick it up his rear. :)
This discussion has been closed.