Now i know why most avoid leg day at the gym...

Options
super sore.... my lord... though it has been almost over a year of working out in the gym, legs are always my hardest....

seeing these big gorilla looking mofos at the gym, they mostly have skinny legs...

so uneven.. but i guess its because they hate leg day...

im not stopping but its funny how the soreness probably discourages many to work out the legs

what say you..

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I get the worst soreness (DOMS) after leg day.

It's getting better. A few things that I have been doing.

1) Separate leg day into two days - one day that emphasizes quads/calves. The other day that emphasizes hamstrings/calves. (examples of hamstring exercises are leg curl machine, wide-stance leg press, and stiffed-leg deadlifts).

2) Foam-rolling before your leg workout (not stretching though). And Foam-rolling after the leg workout, along with some stretching. If you don't have a foam-roller or can't use one, then massaging and rubbing the muscles vigorously helps (I do this when I forget my foam-roller).

3) I've been trying out a supplement called citruline mallite, which anecdotal reports say can help reduce DOMS. So far I've seen a big difference since using it, however I have also been doing the two leg day/week (which supposedly helps the body recover from soreness quicker as well). I'm going to do a leg day without taking citruline mallite soon and if I get the DOMS again, I will assume that the supplement is helping. If I don't, then I'll assume it's because of the extra workout and stretching/foam-rolling.

That's what I say...
  • Smash666
    Smash666 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can relate to hating leg day. The soreness I get afterwards makes me so grumpy, but the benefits of leg workouts are so great for your entire body overall that I usually squeeze it in there twice a week. Its such a large muscle group that is so commonly overlooked by all. I'm sure if you look at most workout routines people do they probably have abs in there at least twice. This is totally unnecessary. This extra workout space should be used on a larger more significant area that has more impact (legs).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    After a few weeks you stop getting sore. Just keep pushing through it and it'll get better.
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Leg day is my favorite. The muscle soreness lets me know I did a great job at the gym.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I do not have a leg day...I do compound exercises... but my legs are my stronges muscle group...if I had a day to hate, it would be my arm day

but yeah, just got a funny image in my head of the dud in the gym with the abnormally huge shoulders and chest standing proudly on his bird legs

FWI, Ive never had DOMs that a hot bath with epsom salt didnt cure
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I must be doing it wrong, I am at least as sore on upper body days and I need those arms to do things, even when I am being lazy!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQfw3KYOVo9UBNjZCQTzzc1vdVs_Vr_RyPkYwtwrgSqdXLKO0
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love leg day. I'm squatting 2x a week, increasing weight each workout, and aside from the 1st week, my legs don't get sore anymore. I will get some lower back stiffness, but to me, that's normal.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm still hurting from Saturday
  • willowdancer
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQfw3KYOVo9UBNjZCQTzzc1vdVs_Vr_RyPkYwtwrgSqdXLKO0

^^This! LOL

I am always sore after leg day, mainly in my hamstrings. My cure is to hop on the treadmill and walk it off nice and easy followed by stretching. It helps work the soreness out faster, otherwise I will still be sore a week later when its time to do leg day again!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I waddle around for about 3 days after a leg day if I took a week off. After a month or so you get used to it and you don't waddle.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Is there any pattern how often the DOMS sufferers checking in here train legs? I've had advice that frequency reduces DOMS.

Perhaps spread your leg training over 3 days a week rather than 2, or heavens forbid 1.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Leg day is my favorite because the more I work it, the better I will be as a runner.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Is there any pattern how often the DOMS sufferers checking in here train legs? I've had advice that frequency reduces DOMS.

Perhaps spread your leg training over 3 days a week rather than 2, or heavens forbid 1.

Frequency also depends on volume and weight used. I never used to squat 2 times a week when I was powerlifting. Once a week was all I could do- not because of soreness, but recovery. When you are using near max weights you have to give your CNS time to recover, or you overtrain. One day of heavy squats and one day of lighter work for speed and technique worked well too, but never 2 heavy days. Yeah, you'd be sore, but it wasn't the crippling I can't sit on the toilet soreness. Now that I'm using 50-60% of the weight I used to, 2 times a week is very doable, but I still don't get real sore from it.

I read somewhere that it can take up to 9 days for your legs to recover from a heavy workout.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i hope it isnt 9 days... that would suck
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I never avoid leg day. Its my favorite!! I would avoid arms, shoulders and back if I had a choice.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Love my leg days.

But honestly I do full body routines so leg day's 3 days a week sucka!
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    It gets better. First workout can take up to 2 weeks to totally heal. Don't skip the following weeks workout even if you still feel it.

BOOTS 2 *kitten*.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    not avoiding it... it just feels like i was in an episode of "Oz".. hahaha

quads is the only one that bothers... feel like im wobbling around
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Love my leg days.

But honestly I do full body routines so leg day's 3 days a week sucka!
    Same.

Then, it's hill sprints.

Every day is leg day.