Couch to 5k?

Options
Hi all!

Has anyone had success with the Couch to 5k program?

I am hitting the gym after work to get started on day 1 and I'm curious how others felt about it. Share your stories, please! Did you lose weight? Did it work for you?

Replies

• sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Bailiey,

I started n the C25K last year around april time - and whilst i wasn't strict about doing it 3 times a week and then upping to next level, i did progress through it at my own pace until the weather changed. & i can honestly say as a non fan of runnin i really enjoyed it - and can't wait to get started again on it this year.
    I think its a great way to introduce your body to running - & it costs you nothing.
    I am planning on beign stricter with myself this year (on account of i have a new job) which means i have more time in the evening to go out running/jogging etc.
    Good Luck :-)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep - it made a runner out of me! I had never liked running, changed from basketball to volleyball in high school because there was less running and I could stay on my own side of the court. :tongue:

Started c25k in January last year, competed the program in the nine weeks as scheduled, and I'm still running. I ran in the cold (i live in California, so my cold isn't like the cold of say, Minnesota! :tongue: but some mornings were below freezing!), I ran in the rain, I ran on sunny days, windy days - didn't matter, I wanted to stick with it - and I did!

By the end I could run 30 minutes without stopping (or dying!), and ran my first 5k race not long after. It was a blast. I still run three days a week, anywhere from a 5k to 7 miles or so, and I love it.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yea, started this about 8 weeks ago, not quite completed the programme itself but managed to complete my first 5km event at the weekend.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I had great success with it. I used it to start running 3 years ago. I now run 1/2 marathon distance
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started doing it. My friend had success with it. Just started Week 3.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 today. Its great because you follow the program and you don't have to kill yourself or feel bad about yourself for walking. You're supposed to walk!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I started in May last year and had to stop because I was dumb enough to take my lab with me. She tripped me and I broke my foot in 2 places. I ended up finishing in Nov. and then did the C25K to 10k bridge. I just signed up for my first run for St. Judes. 15.6 miles. While I don't expect to run the entire thing, I'll do at least 10k of it.
    If I were to give any advice, I'd say to jog your segments as slow as you can. You can add speed later and that's easy to do with interval training.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K in October 2012 and ran my first 5K in November. I stupidly ran with an injury and when I tried running again in January this year it was still painful but I started back running last week and have run three times since then. I've gone back to intervals temporarily until I can get my stamina back to where it was. Then I hope to be running parkrun again and getting a new PB.

I hated running before. Never really enjoyed any kind of exercise but I really love running. It clears my brain and feels fantastic. I particularly like running up hills.

I used the NHS C25K podcasts and found them really encouraging. They're free. I use Runkeeper now on my iPhone to do intervals and did 2.64 miles today so I'm doing OK.

Why not try it? I was terrified and used a local park in the mornings when really only dog walkers were there. It's next to a main road and not very large but circuits there on grass were great for a beginner and I've now progressed to running on the pavement in different shoes.
  • keshiabug1
    keshiabug1 Posts: 150
    Options
    Take it from me... I hate running, but weirdly enough, I really enjoyed C25k. Give it a try. Good luck!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I completed the 9 weeks in September! I ran two 5k's in under 36 minutes (probably could have had better times on both, but one was an obstacle course and I had a cold during the other. I had to stop and blow my nose about 7 times!). I did it just to prove to myself that I could accomplish something I was afraid to do when I was heavy. I am still not a fan of running, but I know I can do it!!!
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Used it to start running a few years ago and it worked great for me, I had trouble running for 1 minute without getting out of breath. They now have a few apps that tell you when to start and stop running, which are great.

I recommend signing up for a 5k about 10 weeks from now so that you have something to keep you motivated.

Also, if the weather allows, I recommend running outside. I had a number of friends stop using it because they were going to the gym and setting their pace too high on the treadmill and they could not complete the intervals because they were trying to run at 6 or 7 mph. Running outside gets you moving and you're not as concerned with speed (plus, you can always increase your speed later).
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Love it. On week 2, (I repeated this week because I kept having time out due to being busy and the weather) and will be going on to week 3 on Thursday. :)

Very useful, you can go at your own pace.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I did C25K twice -- first time I got ready for a 5K, then broke my foot before it could happen, then gained a lot of weight (unknowingly) due to hypothyroidism. Both times, I spent a couple weeks on some of the levels. To me, it was a big leap going from the alternating run/walk intervals to the continuous jogs starting at week 5. If you aren't in a hurry to get through it in 9 weeks, just take your time and stay on some of the weeks longer until you feel ready to go to the next step.

I haven't run much since last summer, but I started this weekend again for a 5K in May. Rather than just running on my own, I am following the C25K plan starting at week 5, day 1 because I like the plan so much. This time, I'm trying with a faster pace though.

Go for it!
  • nayla1984
    nayla1984 Posts: 17
    Options
    Is this a free app ?
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes! I loved it. Downloaded the Chubby Jones podcast... she tells you when to run/when to walk. Fun music, too! I was not much of a runner before C25K. Feel free to repeat weeks if you do not feel ready to go to the next week.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOVE C25K. :) It seriously made me a runner! Do this program, stick to it, go at your own pace, and I promise you will fall in love with running and see great results!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is this a free app ?

yes, free and there are several - all very similar!!!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I believe it is the best way to go for non-runners to get started!!! :happy:
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use a similar program. I'm 43, not thin.... didn't watch my diet..... didn't lose alot of weight doing it, probably because I didn't watch my calories... But, I did learn to run, I have run 2 5k races. I still don't run them continuously, but that's because I stopped for winter! I'm not a cold, snowy runner! I've signed up for another 5k, as well as a 6k obstacle race. If I can do this you can too! I didn't lose weight, but..... I lost alot of inches!!!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm loving all the feedback! You guys are awesome!

I am signing up for The Color Vibe 5k in NH, it's on May 25th which gives me just enough time to complete the program. I am absolutely scared out of my mind to start. I was never, EVER athletic and still am not to this day. I was the kid that spent recess in the library reading. I never played sports, ever. Now I am overweight. My goal is to hit 175 pounds by my birthday, June 17th. I'm currently at 191 and I think with the C25K program I will hopefully get a jumpstart on the weight loss in addition to counting calories.