Ab question!

Options
So I am doing boot camp 3 days a week and it is a total body workout. I would like to work my abs more than this because I have some stuborn belly fat that I want to get rid of fast. I am going to do lots of cardio on 3 days that I don't have boot camp and was wondering if it is ok to work abs on those day also. I have the P90X ab workout as well as some other dvd's that are strictly abs. I have 6 weeks before my 30 year class reunion so I would like to work it hard over the next 6 weeks.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, ab exercises won't burn body fat from your stomach. Your body arbitrarily chooses where to shrink the fat cells. A good diet that doesn't allow you to create excess body fat will help you get to your goal of a flat belly. If you want to build muscle in the stomach, then you can work out the abs everyday if you want. Abs, like calves, can be trained everyday (although an occasional rest day and light-weight day is probably ideal).

Here are some ab workouts that I particularly like:

Hanging Leg Raises
    Crunches/Sit-Ups on Decline Bench
    Pallof Press
    Abwheels
    Side and Front Planks

I also find that front squats are really ideal for my abs. I can feel them engage with some pretty light weight.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • gkallio
    gkallio Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. Spot reduction is a myth.
    Unfortunately, ab exercises won't burn body fat from your stomach. Your body arbitrarily chooses where to shrink the fat cells. A good diet that doesn't allow you to create excess body fat will help you get to your goal of a flat belly. If you want to build muscle in the stomach, then you can work out the abs everyday if you want. Abs, like calves, can be trained everyday (although an occasional rest day and light-weight day is probably ideal).

Here are some ab workouts that I particularly like:

Hanging Leg Raises
    Crunches/Sit-Ups on Decline Bench
    Pallof Press
    Abwheels
    Side and Front Planks

I also find that front squats are really ideal for my abs. I can feel them engage with some pretty light weight.

Hope this helps! Good luck!