Weight Watchers anyone?

Options
Has anyone here been part of Weight watchers?
I've read so many success stories there and really think having a small community to encourage you can help.

If you have been part of it, what is your feedback?
I am lacking motivation and need someone/something help me keep track of what I eat.

Thanks,
Sherry

Replies

• witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I go to Weight Watcher meeting and have lost weigh when I go. When I stop I end up gaining the weight back.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds on my own between 2007 and 2011 (yes, it really took me four years). This time around, after gaining some back after having a baby, I joined Weight Watchers at Work. I have had eight weigh ins and have lost 9.4 pounds.

Some people find converting food values to point to be a pain. Personally, knowing that I have 30 points a day is somehow more "real" to me than having 1600 calories. I don't know, there is just something really tangible about a smaller number than there is with the calorie number. Maybe that's just me.

To me the biggest thing I find about Weight Watchers is that you FINALLY understand that you really aren't alone. I go to the weekly meeting religiously, and it has been tremendously helpful. I am not saying that I couldn't do it without Weight Watchers because I could. But to know that the other members of my group struggle with the same things I do is just so darn motivating to me. They are an awesome bunch, and together we all celebrate our successes and help pick each other up when we are struggling.

Anyway, not that 9.4 pounds in 8 weeks is anything to write home about, but it has been slow, steady weight loss. I was not a believer in Weight Watchers before I started the program, but now I really am one of the converted!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I do WW online and I know I would do better if I went to meetings.

What I really like about WW is that it motivates me to eat fruits and vegetables and EXERCISE.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing weight watchers online, I joined in February, and have lost 6 pounds so far :happy: I am finding it much easier to use then I did the first time I did it (about 4 years ago) and even then I found it pretty easy. I lost my first 60 pounds that way, took a break (and maintained the weight loss). I have gained back some of the weight, but am back on the train to lose again.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW online for 13 months now and I love the online blogging community. I also have been attending meetings since December and I am starting to really enjoy those too. It's taken longer to make connections at the in person meeting, one because I started when I was almost at goal and two because it's only once a week and there is not a lot of chit chat get to know you time. I love the 24/7 support of the online community.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds on Weight Watchers and wouldn't have been able to do it without it!
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers online several times and didn't have much success. I couldn't seem to stick with it. For me, this website works much better... and it's free:)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers online several times and didn't have much success. I couldn't seem to stick with it. For me, this website works much better... and it's free:)

Lifetime on Weight Watchers, their website is free for me now too. :bigsmile:
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I joined Weight Watchers in December 2011 and so far I've lost almost 65 pounds. One thing I love about weight watchers is the meetings, I think it's important to go every week. The first time I went in the door and sat down someone said to me I've been on maintenance a long time, and when I don't come to the meetings I gain, if you come to the meetings we will see you through it will help you lose. And it has been a big help, although I love MFP and began tracking on this site and also lost here, hence the higher weight loss which is the total and includes MFP. This site has great support and tracking, and great people. Haven't tried the WW blogs yet, maybe I will one day. I love the fruits and veggies on WW and it has encouraged my husband and me to eat more. He has lost 30 pounds or maybe 33 pounds and is now on lifetime at weight watchers. I am not at my goal weight yet but I am encouraged. I have made friends in both places and find both good. If you are going to be on the site and weight watchers I would enjoy keeping in touch with you. Right now I use the social aspect of this site, and the tracking aspect and the point plan of weight watchers. I think the two can coexist well.

Sunny
  • faithbelievejoy
    faithbelievejoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I currently use weight watchers and myfitness pal. I love the point system but I use myfitnesspal to calculate everything I eat including veggies and fruits to make sure I'm not consuming tons of calories because on weight watchers veggies and fruits are zero points but I'm thinking that I am going to start using the quick point tool on weight watchers to add fruits and veggies. So far I have lost 12.4 pounds in 14 days and I'm consuming anywhere from 1600 to 1900 calories per day and I have not been exercising..yet.
  • zuul81
    zuul81 Posts: 1
    Options
    They helped me lose 10 kilos. It's effective. However it's very expensive.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    WW is fantastic for a lot of reasons- support, the accountability of having to go to meetings (if you choose the meetings route), a good amount of structure, the freedom to live a normal lifestyle (ie not certain foods that you must eat), and the way it promotes a balance of a healthy diet and exercise.

The only thing not good about it is that some (definitely not all) people rely too much on WW (or similar brands) processed food. At a meeting I used to go to, women panicked when they switched to a new WW points program because they bought all of their frozen meals and pre packaged WW food under the Flex Points program, and it was going to take a few weeks/months for WW to be able to roll out all of their food with the new Points Plus points amount. Some women learned nothing about healthy nutrition and reading a label- and stuff their bodies with processed crap like frozen dinners and 100cal packs all day every day because it was safe and easy for them to buy and track it.

the moral of the story- WW is a great program, but will benefit your body much more if you use your points on healthy food. (the Points Plus program stresses that, but that doesnt mean people listen).
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs on it without going to meetings in 2001. I maintained that till 2011 not by counting points but by eating whole foods and portion control of course. I also was a runner. In 2011, I had to give up running due to bad knees and also started incorporating a "splurge" meal which turned into a splurge day and then a splurge weekend which eventually allowed me to regain 30lbs. Since finding mfp on January 3rd of this year, I have lost close to half of that. I love mfp and feel like I have a better handle on things by tracking calories and paying attention to my macros. I also have noticed that on mfp, I consume more healthy fats and protein whereas on WW, I didn't get enough of either.