How Long Do You Wait?

Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have recently started eating breakfast before I workout in the morning. I usually wait about an hour to an hour and a half and just wondering if that is too long.

How long do you wait to workout after you eat?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    When I workout in the morning I have a very light pre-workout breakfast -- typically some fairly quick-digesting carbs, like half a banana and some fat-free yogurt. I find that I can workout right afterwards. If I eat too much I find that I feel sluggish or I get a side-ache if I run. Then I will have something right after working out (like a protein shake or eggs and toast). I don't think you are waiting too long. I guess it depends on how long you feel you need to wait for your food to settle.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    On my food plan our nutrionist says it's very important to eat a whole meal after working out. so i have breakfast then time my work out so i have lunch right after.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Sometimes I eat while I am on my stationary bike haha....time is sometimes short.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    If you eat a full meal...you should wait 1hr before working out

I usually eat a banana right before my workout, to give my body some energy...and because its so early in the morning, I dont want to feel nauseaus while working out....so a banana holds me right before, and I dont have to wait a 1hr to workout....because its so light

So a small fruit right before is fine.....but if haveing a full meal, you need to wait atleast 1hr
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I have recently started eating breakfast before I workout in the morning. I usually wait about an hour to an hour and a half and just wondering if that is too long.

How long do you wait to workout after you eat?
    I usually eat breakfast around 7:30 or 8 a.m. and start my workout between 10 and 11 a.m. I like to wait at least an hour, and I don't think an hour and a half is too long at all.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    I eat something light (piece of fruit, mini clif bar, etc) about 45-60 minutes before the workout, then I eat a protein snack (cheese stick, handful of nuts, ect) within about 15 minutes after (after I catch my breath a little). I eat a good clean meal about an hour after that and am then back on my schedule of eating every 2-3 hours.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    My kettlebell workout starts at 7:15 am.. so I have a cup of chocolate milk before I head there... this way im not starving, but its not super heavy either, then I eat a regular breakfast when I come home!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    I don't think there's such a thing as waiting too long to workout,...unless you wait so long you're super hungry again :laugh:

The danger is not waiting long enough, which can cause all kinds of tummy upset.

I wish I could wake right up and work out but I need a "healthy sized" meal in my stomach before I can work out.

It's whatever works for you!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I usually have a clementine and either a peanut butter cracker or half a roast beef sandwich about an hour and a half before I run. Then after I cool off, I eat a meal. I can't eat a meal before I work out because I'm too sluggish during and I'm starving after the work out. Just play with it a little and see what works for you.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I workout before dinner. It's usually been about 4-5 hours since my lunch. This works especially well on the days I go running. No side cramps.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Usually the smaller the meal, the less time you have to wait. I know I can workout immediately after I eat a banana and yogurt, or about 15-20 minutes after some oatmeal. But if I eat much more than that I wait an hour and a half or more. Just try different things out and see what works for you!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    I just usually have a cup of cereal, milk and a piece of fruit. I think I may be ok to workout half hour to an hour after I eat. I'll try that
  • I agree with everyone. You have to do what works for you. I tried not eating then working out then eating and that did not work. Then I tried eating something small and working out and midway i felt tired and hungry. For me I need to eat my normal breakfast then go work out then come back and have a snack or lunch depending on the time of when I got up and got to the work out.
This discussion has been closed.