Can someone simply explain the BMR/TDEE?

Options
Hi there,
So I've heard a lot about this BMR and TDEE thing but I'm not quite sure I completely understand. If my BMR is 1330 and my TDEE is apparently 1829, how many calories should I be eating to lose weight?

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    BRM is Basal Metabolic rate. It's basically the energy expendature of your body at a resting state.

TDEE is basically BMR plus the energy used with doing your daily activity. It's generally accepted that TDEE - 20% is good for weight loss.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between those 2 and you'll lose weight.

TDEE is approximately what you use up each day, BMR is what you need to survive.

But they're all rough estimates to point you in the right area. Start with 1500 and see how that works out for you.
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Gotcha... that's kind of scary thought to think about eating that much, I've always eaten waaay less than that. (or at least I feel like I gain weight if I eat around that range). Maybe I'll try upping my calories though. Thanks for the help!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You should be netting somewhere in between those 2 numbers. Closer to the TDEE number if you're already relatively light/lean, closer to the BMR number if you've still got a lot of weight to lose.